Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Balance Shaft Bearing how much 4 replacement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joey_21

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8 HBD---mmmm LS1
i recenlty discovered that thiss rattling noise from behind my manifold and Y pipe was the cause of the balance shaft bearing is done does this cause more damage if i leave it i think the rattling is getting worse but once it heats up its u cant hear it until it reaches high revs but its still not as bad as wen its cold anyone have any idea how much it wood cost 2 get it fix i heard its costly and very time consuming $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Dunno what the figures would be .....however the workshop manual indicates a complete engine disassembly is required to repair/replace the shaft/bearings. As you can pickup a reasonable VR for $3 to 4000, and a full engine teardown will cost $2000, you'd be better off financially getting another car.....or just drive it till it stops.....

Dragz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
.....or just drive it till it stops..... Ouch! its a VR calais daim what a shame.

The thing i would do is sell the car now while its running than waiting for it to F*ck up and then sell it coz u know it will be worthless. :D

Dragz.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
You can always try a heavier grade of oil - I'd be running 20/50 grade as a minimum. If the car has 200K plus, then go for 30/70 or whatever they call the oil designed for "older cars" - it won't harm your engine but will quiten rattles.

Torquen

Boost FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
450+ HP FORD XR6T
i got myn balenced only a couple of months ago. $700 for balance and $1250 if you want a new one. hope this helps.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I could be completely off tangent but the balance shaft is not something that you balance - its reciprocating mass cancels out vibrations from the crankshaft/pistons/valves etc which are a problem in a V6. From what I've read, its the bearing/s that fails on the balance shaft and I'd imagine the shaft then oscillates and thumps/clunks or rattles. I could be completely wrong however.

Torquen

Boost FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
450+ HP FORD XR6T
yeh not a prob now m8.