Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Balance shaft diagnosis

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Does the sump really need to come off to disable the balance shaft? I've had a search but haven't found a how to on doing this.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The sump does not need to come off but is easiest if you loosen off the sump bolts and let it hand down a touch on the bolts

I managed to do it without loosening the sump but I did cut the sump seal were it comes out between the sump and timing cover as I could not get the cover back in with the seal sitting on top of the sump as it wanted to push the seal back into the crank case. One the timing cover started to slide into place I pushed the piece I cut out back in between the 2. I think I also put a little gasket goo where I cut the gasket .

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Does the sump really need to come off to disable the balance shaft? I've had a search but haven't found a how to on doing this.
It's best to take it off. If you take the sump off you can clean the sludge out and clean the pick up. Like Mort said the front lip of the gasket pushes in. If it's the original gasket it's worth fitting a new one as they are a common place to leak once the mileagè gets up.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Why?

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
That's a good and logical question Mike. My impression is that it is speed (or wheel) related rather than engine speed.
If that's the case it presumably rules out the balance shaft?
Next drive I'll shift between 3rd and 4th and see if that makes a difference to the vibration. If no difference it can't really be in the motor is what I am thinking.
Then why do you want to work on the engine? Are your wheel bearings tight and in good condition.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Then why do you want to work on the engine? Are your wheel bearings tight and in good condition.
I don't WANT to work on the motor. I am trying to track down a vibration. A mechanic has pointed to the balance shaft. I am not convinced this is the problem, partly because of the question you asked. I appreciate the input from members on this forum.
As far as I know my wheel bearings are ok.

Last edited:

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
I'd try taking it up to 85kmh, then when the vibration starts throw it out of gear and let the engine idle. If the vibration goes chances are it's something in your engine.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Finally had time to go for a decent drive on a quiet open road without too many potholes. On several long downhill stretches I put the car into neutral and coasted with the speed dropping slowly from about 100kph. The vibrations I have felt at different speeds under load could ALL be felt with the engine idling as the car slowly lost speed and all occurred at the same speed readings as when the car is under load: 85 - 75kph, 60 - 50kph and 40 - 35kph. 3 distinct speeds at which vibration is most noticeable.
To me that clearly says it has to be in the tailshaft or further back, ie the diff, rear axles etc and NOT in the motor or transmission.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
I agree. As it's occurring in definite speed bands it looks like it's driven by a resonance- I'd look for an out of balance tail shaft for starters.