Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Balance shaft?

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
Found a couple of opinions on whether or not to run a balance shaft in a street engine.. looking for more.

Generally you only remove the balance shaft to be able to run a double row timing chain. I dare say that speedway engines would be running double row timing chains for durability, hence the balance shaft removal. On a street engine, there isnt really a lot of point as even if you are running a nice cam, an aftermarket single row chain will be more than capable.

You will probably be picking up bits of v6 at some stage down the track as the v6 is naturally very harsh and kills engine mounts WITH THE BALANCE SHAFT IN! Take the balance shaft out without spending $$$ on balancing the bottome end - the poor vn will fall apart in no time.

My 5 cents worth.

I should add I'm asking with respect to my VR V6 stock rebuild to go into the VN

Let me know your thoughts!!
Sam

centy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 2
Hell i was told the harmonic vibrations would crack the block.
However i DO NOT know that this is true.
Best to find someone who has done it.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Ive done it on a Balanced bottom endi wouldnt take it out otherwise

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Balanced bottom end has nothing to do with it from what I've been reading.. the 90degree V6 can never be properly balanced as a system.. The balance shaft is apparently there to reduce the 3rd harmonic vibration or some such.. just a NVH thing from the factory as a niceity.

HOWEVER because I don't want my VR V6 to run/sound like my old rattly VN s1 V6, please put that shaft back in Paul :)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
i'm running a VN s1 without a ballance shaft, engine is stock otherwise. with decent engine/trans mount do don't notice it much. no shattered crank or block yet:thumbsup: the double row chain removes the use of a chain tensioner, thats a bonus in my book. from what i understand the ballance shaft is there to make the owner/driver happy because a smooth engine is better (in the mind) then a slightly unballanced one. i have read that a unballanced engine does not effect the final perfomrance of a engine in terms of power. for me, the double row chain also worked out cheaper then the single row version:)

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
my mate's balanced v6 without shaft is no different to any other vn vp v6 ive been in, you couldnt even tell it was missing the shaft.
Anyways we went with the single heavy with stage 3 crow cam kit mainly cost was factor as through my work crow stuff is cheap tensioner was $10. If you were paying retail then i could understand double timing chain could be cheaper.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
theres nothing to plug on vn-vr only ecotecs have a gallery on the rear bearing housing

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
ok. I read you needed a plug to stop oil actually leaving the motor.. but then again I read a lot of bullshit on this topic last night. Motors breaking mounts, idling like ****, etc.. still deciding what to do about this shaft lol