Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

balancing shaft.

Panama

Reaction score
Members Ride
'87 VL Calais with L67
does removing the balancing shaft make the ecotec idle lumpier?

has anyone done this on an L67? howd it go?

vn calais manual

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais, vs clubsport #137
lumpier?. u get a bit more vibration through the revv range yes.

why.

Panama

Reaction score
Members Ride
'87 VL Calais with L67
want a lumpier idle and accel but not sure if its possible.

plus ive heard removing it makes for better response?

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
lumpy idle = get a large duration cam. easy done.
removing the balance shaft is a bad idea, and should really only be done during a full engine rebuild - even then only if the engine is for track use (ie, at high revs all the time, so no need for a balance shaft).

Panama

Reaction score
Members Ride
'87 VL Calais with L67
ok cool. im buying an l67 and doing a full rebuild on it so i was wondering whether to put it inor leave it out. gues i'll leave it in.

vn calais manual

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais, vs clubsport #137
but on the buick v6 gets in the way when fitting double row timing chains i have heard. not sure if the same is with the l67.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
I assume if you are doing a full rebuild that the complete assembly will be balanced? Get the balance shaft out of there and it is one less thing to chew up power. There are many debates on this but one thing is for sure, if the engine is bein machined to balance, the balance shaft will certainly be obsolete.

BTW, the balance shaft isn't actually measured and weighted to suit each engine it goes into with the aim of perfect engine balance, they are a mass produced device that is there to add more reciprocating mass to absorb harmonic vibration and internal engine resonance in the mid rev range.

YT sells some stuff to help with the removal of the shaft

mws

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss
YT sells some stuff to help with the removal of the shaft

What stuff do you mean by this? Do you even need any special tools to remove the balance shaft out of an ecotech or buick engine?

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Nah, no special tools (outside of what is needed for a cam swap) but the balance shaft has an oil feed that needs to be blocked after removal. Yt sells the perfect sized plug but there are numerous ways to block the feed.

OZ38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 T5 SDN & VY V6 M35 UTE
Alot of guys have removed the balance shaft on stock L67's & fitted a double row timing chain set. The only thing I have heard is the idle is a bit lumpier when cold on first start ups. Once warmed up it is hardly noticeable. My stock manual ecotec idles reasonably rough anyway with the balance shaft in. Probably more than some engines with the shaft removed.
I would only bother removing the shaft if I was adding a double row timing chain set.

Cheers

Deek