Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

balancing shaft.

mws

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss
i thought the balance shaft bearings in a buick motor was splash fed not presure fed?
so you cant just pull it out you need to install like welsh plug type thing?

OZ38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 T5 SDN & VY V6 M35 UTE
i thought the balance shaft bearings in a buick motor was splash fed not presure fed?
The earlier type (Buick) is a splash type oiling for front & rear ball bearings. The later type (ecotec) has a front ball bearing that is splash oiled & a rear plain bearing that is pressure oil fed.

so you cant just pull it out, you need to install like welsh plug type thing?
Correct for the ecotec engine as it will have no restriction on the oil feed hole. The down side would be when engine is warm the oil pressure might drop away a bit to much at idle, as the oil takes the easiest path of least resistance.

Cheers

Deek

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
on the ecotecs... just remove the balance shaft gear so it will no longer be driven. Leave the balance shaft itself in the motor. saves having to put welsh plugs in.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Panamas' doing a full rebuild so it's a P.O.C. to do when the engines all apart anyways.

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
ahh i see.. my bad.

hope you getting it balanced panama. I disabled balance shafts in all my engines. in two of the 3 engines ive had there has been a harmonic vibration at about 2500rpm (factory balanced engines)

no gains anywhere when balance shaft is removed, with dyno proof. was worth a try though lol

Panama

Reaction score
Members Ride
'87 VL Calais with L67
yeah i will be getting it ballanced of course. i didnt think removing the bal shaft would give me any performance gains, just run lumpier.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
hope you getting it balanced panama. I disabled balance shafts in all my engines. in two of the 3 engines ive had there has been a harmonic vibration at about 2500rpm (factory balanced engines)

no gains anywhere when balance shaft is removed, with dyno proof. was worth a try though lol

i have said vibration with balance shaft intack, lucky me:p

mws

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss
How bad are the buick style motors with balance shaft removed and no internal balancing done?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
V6 engines are all suppose to have balance issues, something to do with the number of pistons and the crank angles etc. the buicks are well known for a "not so smooth" idle. i drove my old mans ford mondeo this week, 2.5ltr V6 smooth as a babies bottom. spins all the way to 6500rpm and you wouldn't notice it. don't know if it has a ballance shaft. the tolerances that holden/buick used to assemble there engines must have been enormous. didn't like the hydraulic clutch however, yuk. no feel/feedback at all.

wade carter

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk efi
I assume if you are doing a full rebuild that the complete assembly will be balanced? Get the balance shaft out of there and it is one less thing to chew up power. There are many debates on this but one thing is for sure, if the engine is bein machined to balance, the balance shaft will certainly be obsolete.

BTW, the balance shaft isn't actually measured and weighted to suit each engine it goes into with the aim of perfect engine balance, they are a mass produced device that is there to add more reciprocating mass to absorb harmonic vibration and internal engine resonance in the mid rev range.

YT sells some stuff to help with the removal of the shaft

Last edited: