Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bali 9 - thoughts?

Eevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
If you were told "give anyone up and your mum/dad/brother/sister/everyone you hold dear will be dead".
Would you give them up?

they should of thought about their family before they started being criminals.

i just wish we still had the death penalty in australia for these crimes

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
If you were told "give anyone up and your mum/dad/brother/sister/everyone you hold dear will be dead".
Would you give them up?

Idle threats perhaps.

Did they do this entirely on there own free will?

Yes. We are all responsible for our own decisions, I have no time for victims who like to blame others for their downfall. You and you alone control your destiny.

They got in with the wrong crowd blah blah blah.

Again their decision. Look at your mates, you can choose to stay mates or find others and stop associating with them. Casting blame on others leading you astray is weak.

A man can physically rape and murder but not get the same punishment depending on what soil he commits his crime?

Irrelevant. The punishment that everyone who travels to Bali knows is that you can face the death penalty if you smuggle drugs. They flew into Bali as they had done many times before knowing this rule. Playing the victim/reformed/I walk beside Jesus card is too little too late. Suck it up and take the punishment you KNEW was coming.

If you think this drop in the ocean made any difference to any junkie getting a hit your sadly mistaken.

Ahh, but having this story shoved in our face week in, week out for a while now has probably made people who had contemplated smuggling not do so. If it saves one life, it's been worth it IMO.

killing them isnt really a punishment, well atleast, not for them.

Oh I beg to differ. It's not like they got caught on Friday and shot Saturday morning. They have sat for how long knowing their fate. Each day they knew they were one step closer to death, that they would never be free again. Sure they had a small window of hope, but each night as they lay down I bet being shot was the last thing on their mind. That is punishment, dragging out the time till they are shot, plenty of time I bet to wish over and over and over that they never chose to walk away from those offering them money to smuggle drugs, or the day they chose to take drugs themselves.

it could be your brother, son or dad. What did YOU do to have this significant person in your life taken from you?

You don't not punish a person because you are going to upset their families and friends. That is why we have counsellors, so they can learn coping skills.

Who really gets punished here?

The people who chose to thumb their noses at Bali laws and think they could get away with smuggling and are soon to be shot. Everyone else gets to go home and live their lives.

AlexVSII

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 Holden VS Commodore S, 3.8 n/a
I get the whole do the crime do the time thing, but I still think it's a complete slap in the face to us as a nation that the Indonesian President, the same week he insisted the executions would go ahead pardoned and reduced the sentences of several of the Bali Bombers. It's even more of a slap in the face that they delivered the official notice of execution to the two on ANZAC Day, in spite of Julie Bishop requesting this not be done. If we take a bigger picture view of this, the pardons and remissions for terrorists, the using of the fates of two Australian citizens as a political football, the notification on one of our most sacred days in spite of a request not to do so, one does have to wonder just how much respect Indonesia has for us as a nation, ostensibly their ally, a significant trading and tourism partner and the largest recipient of our foreign aid.

Personally speaking, there's a damn good reason I don't choose to travel to Indonesia.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Executed at midnight local time , may god have mercy on their souls .

Last edited:

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
Should have been done 10 years ago.

In some ways yes , it should not have taken so long , and personally speaking its waiting to die that I'd hate , and then being chained to a post and shot , a little barbaric , they then again they knew the risks .

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
I get the whole do the crime do the time thing, but I still think it's a complete slap in the face to us as a nation that the Indonesian President, the same week he insisted the executions would go ahead pardoned and reduced the sentences of several of the Bali Bombers. It's even more of a slap in the face that they delivered the official notice of execution to the two on ANZAC Day, in spite of Julie Bishop requesting this not be done. If we take a bigger picture view of this, the pardons and remissions for terrorists, the using of the fates of two Australian citizens as a political football, the notification on one of our most sacred days in spite of a request not to do so, one does have to wonder just how much respect Indonesia has for us as a nation, ostensibly their ally, a significant trading and tourism partner and the largest recipient of our foreign aid.

Personally speaking, there's a damn good reason I don't choose to travel to Indonesia.

I think the biggest slap in the face is that our country thinks it can bully another country in to changing its laws.

Personally I'm glad the Bali 7 are now a thing, hopefully the "news" will report on important issues such as the devastating loss of life in Nepal.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
I think the biggest slap in the face is that our country thinks it can bully another country in to changing its laws.

Personally I'm glad the Bali 7 are now a thing, hopefully the "news" will report on important issues such as the devastating loss of life in Nepal.

Couldn't agree more

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
play in the dirt, you get dirty...