Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ball joints

BIG DYL

BIG DYL
Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT calais
hey everyone my ball joints are f***ed in my mums car i was just wondering how hard it is to do them

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
If they are the same as the VS ones,they are riveted on when they are the original ball joints,you need to split the rivets collet with a chisel.Once its split,the rivet can be knocked out of the arm.Theres 3 rivets in the VS ones,once they are all removed, the ball joint will fall out.The replacement ball joints come with nuts and bolts to re attach the new ball joints to the control arms,they are not riveted back on again.Always make sure the nuts and bolts are tightened to the right specs,you will need a tension or torque wrench for this.You will need a workshop manual to follow so everything is reassembled and tensioned up properly.These manuals are the best thing you can buy for your car if you want to work on it yourself.Plus you learn a lot from them,and you know any work done, is done properly.I dont know how many times over the years Ive seen people put something back together wrong and bugger or break something else in doing so.Its just not worth guessing, which is what a lot of people do.The workshop manuals are step by step instructions with plenty of pics,you cant go wrong if you follow it.It will save you the $50 they cost ,the first time you use it to fix something.