Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ballast resistor

Reaction score
Members Ride
1972 Holden HQ UTE red 202 auto
Do 1972 holden HQs have ballast resistors in them, I want to install a DSM distributor and electric dizzies don't like resistors.

Also, do early commodores have ballast resistors? As they were mostly electric ignition engine

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Vb commodore with points had a resistance wire the same as hq-hz did, the positive going to the coil is a resistance wire the one with do not cut printed on the insulation

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vb commodore with points had a resistance wire the same as hq-hz did, the positive going to the coil is a resistance wire the one with do not cut printed on the insulation
And when installing a electric distributor do I need to get rid of that wire

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
some blokes do lazy blokes like me use the resistance wire to turn on a relay and get a new feed from the battery or starter motor I've heard of a latching issue but if you use a relay with a diode across the coil which most relays have it doesn't happen
relay15a.jpg

Reaction score
Members Ride
some blokes do lazy blokes like me use the resistance wire to turn on a relay and get a new feed from the battery or starter motor I've heard of a latching issue but if you use a relay with a diode across the coil which most relays have it doesn't happen
relay15a.jpg
That looks complicated, carny I just replace the resistor wire with a normal one?

Reaction score
Members Ride
relay15a.jpg
Actually did more research seems easy, but there are so many types of relays to choose, do I get a 12dc 40amp? And use 12ga wire for the battery and ground

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
a 30 amp bosch relay will cut it think about it like this the coil uses around 8 amps running allow for 10 amps with an in rush of 20 for short periods a 30 amp bosch relay is plenty 40 should be overkill the cars i put 30 amp bosch relays on the relay lasted longer then the car 10 years later

Reaction score
Members Ride
a 30 amp bosch relay will cut it think about it like this the coil uses around 8 amps running allow for 10 amps with an in rush of 20 for short periods a 30 amp bosch relay is plenty 40 should be overkill the cars i put 30 amp bosch relays on the relay lasted longer then the car 10 years later
But for the wire, where do I get it. I looked at super cheap, repco and autobarn but they only have thin speaker wire or thick battery wires(200amp), maybe I looked at the wrong stuff, if they sell the correct wire can you give me a link to it also should I step it up to 10ga or 12ga is plenty

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Reaction score
Members Ride