Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ballast resistor

Reaction score
Members Ride
1972 Holden HQ UTE red 202 auto
some blokes do lazy blokes like me use the resistance wire to turn on a relay and get a new feed from the battery or starter motor I've heard of a latching issue but if you use a relay with a diode across the coil which most relays have it doesn't happen
relay15a.jpg
I didn't work well, for some reason it only sends 7-9 volts, is there a way to do it without a relay, also with the relay the engine always stayed on and had to turn it off by the switch.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
did you use a rely with a diode on the coil Ive never had to add a diode to the alternator wire to stop the rely latching on its getting powered via the alternator charge wire . the 7-9 is enough to hold the relay coil in the distributor is getting 12 volts via the new supply you added? Ive mostly done this on h series holdens the handbrake light was enough load to drop the relay out when i used headlight relays other wise cut the resistance wire out of the loom and replace it with a bit of cooper wire
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Tridon-Mini-Relay-30-Amp-4-Pin/293180
not the relay I would of brought as a rule of thumb all ways use a relay with a diode across the coil on cars an electronics bloke told me that.

Reaction score
Members Ride
did you use a rely with a diode on the coil Ive never had to add a diode to the alternator wire to stop the rely latching on its getting powered via the alternator charge wire . the 7-9 is enough to hold the relay coil in the distributor is getting 12 volts via the new supply you added? Ive mostly done this on h series holdens the handbrake light was enough load to drop the relay out when i used headlight relays other wise cut the resistance wire out of the loom and replace it with a bit of cooper wire
The think is the dizzy was still only getting 7-9v, I did 85 to ground, 86 old coil wire(yellow), 30 battery and 87 to the coil.

Reaction score
Members Ride
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Tridon-Mini-Relay-30-Amp-4-Pin/293180
not the relay I would of brought as a rule of thumb all ways use a relay with a diode across the coil on cars an electronics bloke told me that.
Also what do you mean cut out the resistor wire, that's the oink one right? And isn't that connected to the ignition switch? How will I replace the whole thing?

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
with it ruining are you seeing 12 volt or more between coil positive and negative battery terminal?
Is a job from hell as its in the wiring loom the resistance wire hence why Ive never bothered to try and change it find it at the bulk connector under the dash above the steering wheel somewhere cut the resistance wire off the and join a bit of copper wire to it and get that to the distributor is what some blokes told me to do .
To prove the alternator charge light is causing the relay to latch on with the key off pull the charge light wire off the alternator if the handbrake light doesn't stop it put a diode in that wire

Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
with it ruining are you seeing 12 volt or more between coil positive and negative battery terminal?
Is a job from hell as its in the wiring loom the resistance wire hence why Ive never bothered to try and change it find it at the bulk connector under the dash above the steering wheel somewhere cut the resistance wire off the and join a bit of copper wire to it and get that to the distributor is what some blokes told me to do .
To prove the alternator charge light is causing the relay to latch on with the key off pull the charge light wire off the alternator if the handbrake light doesn't stop it put a diode in that wire
Yea when running, only got 7-9 volts actually was 6-8

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
you've wired the relay wrong is my guess is it hq as from your other thread I fucked a up and thought it was vb join the 2 wires together will do it and piss off the relay the hq sends 12volt on start up via the yellow wire your talking about in the other thread to the coil when it starts the run wire is the resistance wire hz and commodore only had one wire from memory

Reaction score
Members Ride
you've wired the relay wrong is my guess is it hq as from your other thread I fucked a up and thought it was vb join the 2 wires together will do it and piss off the relay the hq sends 12volt on start up via the yellow wire your talking about in the other thread to the coil when it starts the run wire is the resistance wire hz and commodore only had one wire from memory
You have confused me now, yes its a 82 HQ, so what Di I need to do?