Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ballpark cost to either replace or repair dent in ute tray door?

pengoau

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS3 Commodore Ute
G'day

Got rear ended on the M1 driving home today. Got the other parties details and she said she would pay me if its cheaper than her excess.

What sort of ballpark would getting a '99 Commodore VS3 Ute's tray fold back door either replaced or repaired be? Would it be cheaper than say $500?

Is it a big job installing the tray fold back door or panel beating it? So should I be able to drop my car off at a repairer and expect to get it back the same day? I'm hoping I can get it fixed on a Saturday and picked up the same day. Basically I need my car to get to/from work and don't have anyone else I can rely on as I just moved to QLD and don't know anyone well enough yet.

Should I get the tray door replaced or panel beaten? What do you think OCAU. Help me OCAU you are my only hope!

I'll call some places tomorrow and get some firm prices so I can see what the woman wants to do. Either pay me or go thru her insurer.

Cheers.

Update:
update: $350 for a new tail gate painted and fitted, 2 day job

Last edited:

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
My opinion only but that panel is probably available new non-original so would be cheaper to get a new one than panelbeat the old one. Then it needs painting so you can count on a day or two. You'd be very lucky to get it done on a Saturday but that depends on where you live and how busy they are.
I'd ring a few panel shops and get a ballpark figure for a new panel and paint as then they will have a fair idea of cost whereas to beat/paint the old one needs inspection.
Good Luck.

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VY SS 2003 - 6 Speed Manual
Any pictures of the damage would help, sorry to hear about the prang :bang:

pengoau

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS3 Commodore Ute
Will see if I can get access to a digital camera.

Thanks for the advice.