Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ban those old cars!!!!!

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I don't watch Highway Patrol / RBT or the other Australian Police reality TV shows on a regular basis, but I do remember a few where Vic Police have pulled a car over and defected them for some ridiculous minor scratch/dent or similar. Unfortunately, I can't back that up with specifics.

Personally, I have had one of my cars roadworthy rejected for having worn tyres.
When shown an identical, brand new tyre that was equally 'worn' the inspector was still 'right', :( but signed the roadworthy cert as being OK.

Probably done for the cameras! In Vic. coppers eyes, motorists are guilty until proven innocent...
It just requires their 'opinion' to declare a car unroadworthy. Remember, they are prime revenue raisers for the state government.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Don't understand how hail damage on panels can even be considered a safety defect. Broken windscreens, lights and the such, yes I can understand, but a nice pattern of dings?

Surely crumple zones and crash protection performance can’t be compromised by a bunch of little itty bitty dings. I doubt such can be compromised by dings so suspect we have a more serious problem than hail... and it’s called government greed...

Whilst inspections in S`A mainly limited to cars that the police defect, when it comes to taxis, (not sure about other public hire vehicles), the inspection stations deem dings an unroadworthy vehicle, therefore the dings must be repaired....They can be minor ones, that the majority of people would shrug off, but with these, fix or no pass...

I don't agree with this rule, but you can't argue with these twits

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I don't watch Highway Patrol / RBT or the other Australian Police reality TV shows on a regular basis, but I do remember a few where Vic Police have pulled a car over and defected them for some ridiculous minor scratch/dent or similar. Unfortunately, I can't back that up with specifics.

I vaguely remember this episode and the car was pretty banged up, with some sharp edges as a result of the damage...

If my memory serves me right it was a VR/VS Commodore....But don't quote me on that...

Does that sound familiar?

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Does that sound familiar?

Can't remember the car, or when, but it was scrape/dent all along the passenger side from headlights to taillights, more unsightly than dangerous.
Lights worked, doors opened and closed, it just didn't pass the 'that will polish out' test.

Edit ... perhaps the driver didn't pass the 'attitude test' . :mad:

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Agree VC, you can't argue with bureaucratic twitts.
It's like banging your head on a wall when dealing with them :eek:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Can't remember the car, or when, but it was scrape/dent all along the passenger side from headlights to taillights, more unsightly than dangerous.
Lights worked, doors opened and closed, it just didn't pass the 'that will polish out' test.

Edit ... perhaps the driver didn't pass the 'attitude test' . :mad:

Bit of a shame neither of our memories are that good....It may have had some sharp edges, which don't wash, but it also could have been all for the cameras too.... :)

Attitude tests...Well, you don't pass them with the locals, you are in a world of hurt....:)