Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bank 2 sensor 1 VE commodore

Dazzy74

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH commodore
Hi all, I’m new to the site and was wondering if anyone could help me. I have an error code PO 153 - 02 sensor circuit slow response bank 2 sensor 1. Iv diagnosed it with OBD ll. I’m hoping someone can tell me how to access the sensor. It seems to be in a very awkward spot and cannot work out how to replace it. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Very very awkward.
You need some good tools and a lot of creativity to get it off.
I managed to get the passenger's side O2 out from underneath but still can't get the drivers one out. I used a long spanner on the outside of the O2 sensor socket.

Dazzy74

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH commodore
Very very awkward.
You need some good tools and a lot of creativity to get it off.
I managed to get the passenger's side O2 out from underneath but still can't get the drivers one out. I used a long spanner on the outside of the O2 sensor socket.
Hi Greenacc, thanks for your reply. I’ve managed to change bank2 sensor 2 quite easily but sensor 1 seems quite tricky. I wasn’t sure if I needed to drop the trans cross member for better access. I can’t even manage to get my hand onto the sensor plug to undo it.

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I think if you took it to a shop and they couldn't do it any easy way they would pull the exhaust off to get better access. The plug wasn't impossible to reach but wasn't straight forward.
Mechanics have some pretty sexy tools these days. Flex head ratchet etc so you might be better off finding a good shop and ask if they can spend half an hour on it and have a go.
Might save you a few days worth of swearing.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Will keep an eye on this.:)

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
They sure are effing hard to get out those front ones!! When all else fails I'm going to hacksaw the tail half of the sensor off so I can use i nice short socket and breaker bar on it. Fingers crossed that works or I'm deeply rooted and I guess after that the exhaust manifold is coming out..

Dazzy74

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH commodore
Okay, I spoke to mechanic today about replacing the o2 sensor, bank 2 sensor 1. I was told this is quite common , instead of replacing it he said to run 98 octane for a few tanks and believes 9 times out of 10 this resolves the issue, then put the diagnostic tool back on and delete the code. Won’t know the result for a couple of weeks ( or a couple of tanks ) but will update as soon as possible.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Okay, I spoke to mechanic today about replacing the o2 sensor, bank 2 sensor 1. I was told this is quite common , instead of replacing it he said to run 98 octane for a few tanks and believes 9 times out of 10 this resolves the issue, then put the diagnostic tool back on and delete the code. Won’t know the result for a couple of weeks ( or a couple of tanks ) but will update as soon as possible.
running 98 octane wont fix a faulty o2 sensor and if for some reason it did actually work it’s only a temporary measure, o2 sensors are a service item that need to be replaced every so often

Dazzy74

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH commodore
Running 98 octane seems to be doing the trick. 3 weeks now and no ‘check engine’ code has been displayed.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Remember that the codes don’t mean the sensor is broken. It should be investigated further.
Tough part for most is that requires some special kit.