Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

BAR REPAIR QUESTION: COLOUR MATCH/DRYING, and ORANGE PEEL!!!

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Hi,

Today I got a local rep from 'touch up guys' mobile panel beaterto take a couple of dings out of my back bumper today. There are 2 issues.....Car is a 2001 VX sedan in otherwise mint condition.

1. Paint colour is Heron, JF073 (I think...). Have no idea what actual paint type was used (laquer, 2k). The paint on the bumper seems to be a shade or 2 darker than the metal body work; at the join under the passenger side tailight its quite noticeable. I have been told that it will ligthen to the correct shade as the paint cures and dries out. Is this true?

2. There is quite a big amount of paint peel. How is this removed? I am afraid to sand. Could it be done via a cutting compound??

I am not keen on going back and asking for refund or similar for I feel that it was the best he could do.

Should have forked out a bit extra and gone to a proper panel beater, i know......

SthEastCustoms

Reaction score
Members Ride
wagon
1 white paint will dry darker than what it is but this normally happens in the first 12 hours not much more will happen after that

get some 2000grit sand paper with water and lightly scuff the top. then get some good cutters and a buff and all shall be smooth again.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok, will see how it dries out....I had a corolla once that had an iffy paint match, it did improve over the course of the week.....the paint match is actually quite acceptable in the sun. possibly the old acrylic vs 2k issues I had on the VB, for the mis-match is most noticeable in the shade, and from what I have experienced

Anyway, I got 1200 grit paper and wet sanded the orange peel out. then i used kitten cutting compound, followed by mequiars scratch remover 2.0. Verdict... a **** load better but not as good as the surrounding panels; my polishing rags may have been too coarse, and it introduced heaps of fine scratches into the duco. but it will do for now, after realising he probably did it in acrylic when the rest of the car is 2k I think I will get it done properly in the near future.

SthEastCustoms

Reaction score
Members Ride
wagon
remember too that your old paint has worn down so will look flatter than the new paint too. not alot you can do with this as I said sanding down can help but in the end you could rub through if you do too much. while polishing too polish your old surface it will 'bring the colour up' a bit.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
got it done properly, $400 to get whole bar done. Colour match is not perfect, but is acceptable. I am guessing that it is nigh-on impossible to completely match up plastic vs metal paint jobs.