Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Barloworld Holden - Buyer Beware

GetToDaChopa

Blues Brother # 2
Reaction score
Members Ride
The Blues Mobile
Is this Barloworld at Glen Waverley?
I find that really interesting if it is, because they the one dealership I would trust, my mate bought his VW Golf there and my sister her Astra, which they traded in with an old Camry for bout 3000.
Never had one problem with them, Sales or Service.

Guess everyone's opinion/experience is different.

You can't please everyone.

Joe Peeps

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
they are obliged to pay your costs, i wouldnt take no for an answer the law is on your side if you want to take it to the end on principle

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
they are obliged to pay your costs, i wouldnt take no for an answer the law is on your side if you want to take it to the end on principle

Depends if he signed a contract of sale or not which appears not. He **might** have a chance if there is a written quote however most of those have some form of "get out of jail" clause in there somewhere.

Reaper

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
pretty sure i have seen barloworld holden on aca or today tonight before for something dodgy???????

guy at work bought a new rodeo at holden, he went in said he wanted this this and this, for this price and with this trade in, they said its impossible and dont bother trying another dealer cause they wont do it,

he rang another dealer, rang them on the phone said what he wanted etc, they agreed, he was a lil surprised so he drove down there, sure enough, they said yep, wrote it up, got exactly what he wanted for the price, drove the ute back to the original dealer and said sucked in, apparently the look on their faces was priceless,

good luck with it tommo, id be getting a solicter to write a friendly letter to say either sell the car at what was agreed and on paper, or reimburse for your cost to break lease etc etc

Joe Peeps

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Depends if he signed a contract of sale or not which appears not. He **might** have a chance if there is a written quote however most of those have some form of "get out of jail" clause in there somewhere.

Reaper

estoppel comes into play here. he relied - detrimentally - upon their quote and incurred costs as a result. prima facie he is entitled to reimbursement of the costs even without a contract

edit: i think! :)

Last edited:

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
ok... they renegged, but they have every right to, even though its poor customer service.
according to the trade practices act, you need:

Offer
Acceptance
Consideration.

You got the offer, you accepted the offer, but you didnt pay consideration to seal the deal.
And it's not entirely necessary that you sign a contract, although it helps a great deal. The main issue is you didnt pay anything and they didnt give you a receipt.

Lesson 1) Once you agree with a dealer, dont leave without paying something- and dont leave without a receipt.
Lesson 2) Just because "paperwork isnt ready", doesnt mean they cant write a receipt with the deal struck (including trade details).
Lesson 3) But really, once you agree, sign it up! Get them to sit down and sort it out NOW. You obviously went at a busy time and they wanted to move on to next sale. Tough ****. A sale is a sale... if they dont accept payment now, walk!

Now, although they dont have to honor anything really... good customer service normally gets you across the line.
My advice?

Make a complaint to head office, explaining everything clearly and calmly... especially on what you agreed to buy and what you were trading in (customer of holden for years bla bla bla).

Address it to:

Customer Satisfaction and Quality
Mr. Richard Miziewicz
GPO Box 1714
Melbourne Vic 3001

Calmly and maturely explain your circumstances in a letter, and wait.
You'll receive a response and at the very least an apology explaining the reason for the mistake, and quite possibly a direct contact within Barloworld with a senior sales manager, because at the end of the day they would rather you deal with them. Who knows, a deal might still be struck. But them 'offering' you the ability to walk away was unprofessional and quite frankly insulting. Might want to mention that in the letter :).

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
ok... they renegged, but they have every right to, even though its poor customer service.

Offer
Acceptance
Consideration.

You got the offer, you accepted the offer, but you didnt pay consideration to seal the deal.
And it's not entirely necessary that you sign a contract, although it helps a great deal. The main issue is you didnt pay anything and they didnt give you a receipt.

Lesson 1) Once you agree with a dealer, dont leave without paying something- and dont leave without a receipt.
Lesson 2) Just because "paperwork isnt ready", doesnt mean they cant write a receipt with the deal struck (including trade details).
Lesson 3) But really, once you agree, sign it up! Get them to sit down and sort it out NOW. You obviously went at a busy time and they wanted to move on to next sale. Tough ****. A sale is a sale... if they dont accept payment now, walk!

Now, although they dont have to honor anything really... good customer service normally gets you across the line.
My advice?

Make a complaint to head office, explaining everything clearly and calmly... especially on what you agreed to buy and what you were trading in (customer of holden for years bla bla bla).

Address it to:

Customer Satisfaction and Quality
Mr. Richard Miziewicz
GPO Box 1714
Melbourne Vic 3001

Calmly and maturely explain your circumstances in a letter, and wait.
You'll receive a response and at the very least an apology explaining the reason for the mistake, and quite possibly a direct contact within Barloworld with a senior sales manager, because at the end of the day they would rather you deal with them. Who knows, a deal might still be struck. But them 'offering' you the ability to walk away was unprofessional and quite frankly insulting. Might want to mention that in the letter :).

Cheers :beer chug:

Nice to see a good old Offer, Acceptance and Consideration conversation come up again. Business Law was my favorite subject this year at uni.

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
some holden dealerships are just morons.

Only decent ones i know is Ralph De Silva and Cranbourne Holden.

know people who have been stooged from most of the others

Yep, i got stooged by Booran Holden in Dandenong a few years ago. Dad got his VE SS ute from Barry Bourke Holden in Berwick, he reckons they are pretty damn good. Traded in his Rodeo, got $19,000 for it, and he got the VE SS ute, black and 6 speed for $34,000 drive away. Not too shabby i thought. But that was just before the release of the newer ones like your old man got.

I'd say they were trying to clear out a few of the series one's, but he didn't give a ****, he just wanted the manual 6 litre :yeah:

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
pretty sure i have seen barloworld holden on aca or today tonight before for something dodgy???????

guy at work bought a new rodeo at holden, he went in said he wanted this this and this, for this price and with this trade in, they said its impossible and dont bother trying another dealer cause they wont do it,

he rang another dealer, rang them on the phone said what he wanted etc, they agreed, he was a lil surprised so he drove down there, sure enough, they said yep, wrote it up, got exactly what he wanted for the price, drove the ute back to the original dealer and said sucked in, apparently the look on their faces was priceless,

good luck with it tommo, id be getting a solicter to write a friendly letter to say either sell the car at what was agreed and on paper, or reimburse for your cost to break lease etc etc

Were they the Holden dealership who's apprentices smashed up a customers car while they were test driving it after they did some work to it?

Joe Peeps

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim

Offer
Acceptance
Consideration.

Go do some more research beyond simple contract.

like i said before, He has equity on his side.