Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Jake Wilson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sedan
Hey guys,

I’m fresh to the group and forum here, having just bought my first decent car. VF SS Auto Sedan with just under 90k on the clock.

Looking for some advice on some baseline/starting modifications that I could get done to make it more of a sleeper. Also if anyone knows of a good place to get it done that’d be great. Let me know what a reasonable budget is too, but I know I have a good $5k ready already.

I I’ve been saving for a few years to get into the world of cars and Motorsport and would love any good advice and input I can get. Much appreciated

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
For 5k you could get extractors & exhaust + OTR cai and tune. This would make a significant difference in how car sounds, feels and drives...

Jake Wilson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sedan
Thanks for the tips mate. Sounds like an awesome place to start. Much appreciated .

Out of interest, where would you rate upgrades to ECU, suspension, brakes, exhausts etc. relative to each other?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Is it an L77 or LS3?
Assuming it's a non Redline VF with an L77, I'd make it stop, with front and rear Brembos etc first. Then source a cheap second hand exhaist system and VF2 bi-modal mufflers. The latter to avoid an expensive canary. Then a good dyno or maybe mail order tune. It'll brake well, sound nice and have somewhere around 260wkw.

Jake Wilson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sedan
Is it an L77 or LS3?
Assuming it's a non Redline VF with an L77, I'd make it stop, with front and rear Brembos etc first. Then source a cheap second hand exhaist system and VF2 bi-modal mufflers. The latter to avoid an expensive canary. Then a good dyno or maybe mail order tune. It'll brake well, sound nice and have somewhere around 260wkw.

Hey mate, you're right about it not being a redline, so I'm guessing that means its an L77 (I'm in the process of learning all this but very interested). A good set of shoes on it sounds like a bright idea as it'll be a fair power upgrade to my normal ride. Any good suggestions on good places to get them fitted, particularly northern areas of Adelaide? I've head good things about morpowa but thats about all. I'm no mechanic myself an

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
Tune is best value bang for buck

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
If it’s a series 2 Vf it will have the LS3 regardless of it being a redline or not series 1 had the L77 engine

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
If your serious about it being a sleeper, I doubt exhaust mods will help you achieve that. Stall and diff gears/truetrac I'd say. More torque to the ground, quiet and perfectly legal. If your not worried about the legalities, start saving for a blower.

BlaserF3

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF/S1 SS Storm Ute - quite warmed up
For 5k you could get extractors & exhaust + OTR cai and tune. This would make a significant difference in how car sounds, feels and drives...

Add $3k to what Ron said to include a cam and DoD delete kit.

For $8k on my 2015 S1 L77 I got extractors/3"cats with full stainless 3" system back/mid range cam/heavy duty lifters n springs/OTR intake/dyno tune. This also included a Displacement on Demand (DoD) delete kit which all L77 and up have and must be blocked to do a cam. It doesn't matter if it's active or not but the kit is there...

Hub dyno said 340Kw and 550Nm after tune.

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
Diff gears,exhaust and otr/tune,a 6.0 auto with those mods will run a high 12 to flat 13,if you want to go any faster then you need a cam or blower,or both:)