Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bathurst 1000

Phantom6 SportWagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY10 SIDI Sportwagon
Went to my first Bathurst 1000 on the weekend, drove up from Adelaide where i left at 3am in the morning to arrive in the town of Bathurst around 4pm local time, Stayed at a camp site on Mc Phillamy park.
I had read and heard bad things about the campsites, honestly they are really rough but not to the point of being scared or anything like that, first impression was that id driven into a town of Gypsie bogans (which wasnt far from the truth) was definatly a eye opening experience.
First night rained that hard that our tent leaked in from the vents so we ended up in the car trying to sleep (Big Fail!) loud music still pumping at 5am the next morning loud yelling and swearing, it was all quite funny actually.
We had paddock access which is a huge WIN and a must have if you ever go, to see the inside of the pits, the drivers and the whole teams from 5-20metres away is a great experience.
The whole weekend was a success overall (except the 26hrs of driving to and from Bathurst)
But my overall rating of the race, the actually show Bathurst put on, the things to do for the public etc is no where near as good as Clipsal 500, really the only thing Bathurst 1000 has going for it is the track, the race format, the scenery and the history involed in racing at the mountain.
Clipsal 500 has to be the best race in Australia hands down, the street track has to be seen to be believed, the races are always exciting and full of action, there are so many things to do with the whole family, so many different place to watch the race, and just the overall show that Adelaide puts on is just unbelivable! the fact that every night at clipsal they have bands playing on the grassed areas is just value for money because you know the party isnt over once the racing finishes.

If you ever get the chance to goto Bathurst do it, it is a Beautiful place! But Clipsal is the best race in Australia without a doubt!!

Burnout124

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S2/ VY SS 6sp
i will be going to bathurst next year. heading over from Perth W.A i a bit more driving for me but a nice review on what happens on the mountan over night i was wondering how bad it was.

Phantom6 SportWagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY10 SIDI Sportwagon
Yeah its definatlty not as bad a your hear, but if your are planning on camping i suggest you get a site a mc phillamy park, and try to get something in the back corners, most of the loud gypsies camp in the middle areas, and if your going to drive from WA make sure you get tickets with paddock access! must have it.
Oh and also being able to walk on the track after the racing is finished is one of the best experinces ive ever had, the mountain is unbelievably steep, watching it on tv you barely get a idea of the beautiful track.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
yeah on tv the track catches you out. walking around at the top, especially from the esses to the elbow was tough! =P
and its great to watch from all points. plus at the top you can see pretty much 80% of the track which is amazing

was up there aswell. was awesome. personally loved seeing the little lotus beating the vipers around the track in the GT3's.
also loved the utes. was great being able to talk to those guys, and being up and close to their cars. (same with the classics)

some of the things that go on when your camping is a good laugh.
and the camp sites were pretty big. bigger then i expected.
especially when you go to go for a walk around the track and find the next days entertainment singing away.
atleast Lee didnt ruin the national anthem like most musicians.