Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bathurst 2018, and Brock Auction

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
The ‘Motorsport’ thread seems deserted, so I’ll put this here.
Peter Champion’s Brock collection is up for auction on Saturday 6 Oct at Bathurst.
As it doesn’t seem to have been well publicised, I’m hoping that there may not be many bidders, and I may be able to pick up a bargain. :)
Anyone else intending to be there ?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Collection of what?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Good luck finding a bargain, cos no rev heads ever go to Bathurst...

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Collection of what?

There is a fake of the '84 Bathurst winner being auctioned amongst others. For the real thing you need only head down to the National Motor Racing Museum near Murrays Cnr of the circuit for some real history :)

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
^^^^ I think the '05' at the museum is on permanent loan, from what was Peter Champion's collection, but could be wrong.
Originally 05 or 25, it's history is debateable and murky, as Brock had contradicted himself on authenticity, and declared that both are the winner at various times, and nobody has been able to positively confirm which is/was which.

Edit : Yep, should not write stuff about a permanent loan without having a think first. I thought Champion owned both '05's
My personal opinion about the 1984 '05' is that the museum example is genuine, only because I have a photo from 21 years ago of myself sitting in it. And a lot of conspiracy theories have surfaced since Brock donated it, (think 'NASA moon landings'), about numbers being switched, and who bought which one.
If the Champion '05' is genuine, it is very much a 'grandfather's axe' now from where it was in 1984.

Last edited:

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
^^^^ I think the '05' at the museum is on permanent loan, from what was Peter Champion's collection, but could be wrong.
Originally 05 or 25, it's history is debateable and murky, as Brock had contradicted himself on authenticity, and declared that both are the winner at various times, and nobody has been able to positively confirm which is/was which.

Edit : Yep, should not write stuff about a permanent loan without having a think first. I thought Champion owned both '05's
My personal opinion about the 1984 '05' is that the museum example is genuine, only because I have a photo from 21 years ago of myself sitting in it. And a lot of conspiracy theories have surfaced since Brock donated it, (think 'NASA moon landings'), about numbers being switched, and who bought which one.
If the Champion '05' is genuine, it is very much a 'grandfather's axe' now from where it was in 1984.

Yeah - there has been no end of investigation into it and by all of the objective evidence, the NMRM car is the real one. The Champion car started life as the 84 runner up (car 25) but after a torrid racing life in Europe having more hits than Elvis and then a full nut and bolt restoration once Champion bought it, the amount of 1984 car left is near nothing. The resto on that car is no doubt very good with the only major historical inaccuracy I have seen is the incorrect number being painted on the doors :).

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
Just to mention the 2018 '1000' race seeing as it's in the thread title.

What a useless category this is.

I'd rather see Production or GT.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
The Superutes were on before....geez they sound crap and look slow.

Next up was Touring Car Masters.....good old sound and much more speed.....and each car has its own character.