Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bathurst 2018, and Brock Auction

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
The Superutes were on before....geez they sound crap and look slow.

Next up was Touring Car Masters.....good old sound and much more speed.....and each car has its own character.

Touring Car masters is awesome to watch....Love watching the old school cars race
As for the Super Utes....Personally I think they are just pathetic and a piss weak replacement for the V8 ute series...The Toyota 86's & Touring Car Masters are way more entertaining.
The only good thing about the Stupid Utes being on track is you've got time to go and hang out a load of washing, make yourself another beverage and wash & polish your car before the next category come out to race....Hell you'd probably have enough time to mow your lawn as well.

Last edited:

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
The Champion car started life as the 84 runner up (car 25) but after a torrid racing life in Europe having more hits than Elvis and then a full nut and bolt restoration once Champion bought it, the amount of 1984 car left is near nothing. The resto on that car is no doubt very good with the only major historical inaccuracy I have seen is the incorrect number being painted on the doors :).

Apparently it did not sell. Buyer beware ?

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
My first Bathurst 1000 since last century, I took up an offer of free accommodation in a real house, and thoroughly enjoyed the experience, even though I had lost interest with the V8Supercars on introduction of the COTF..

My first was 1968, (50 years ago … bluddy ‘ell) so my sentimental favourite was the Holdsworth #18 in the Monaro livery from that year.
1994 was the last visit, and at the time wondered who the kid was that was hanging around with PB, so Craig Lowndes’ win this year was a nice bookend. I really felt for David Reynolds’ who had put in a brilliant effort all day until it all fell apart.
But the ‘racing’ is processional, and the mixing up, passing, and speed differentials are long gone.
The Touring Car Masters, if they can race without a crash and safety car, are the big entertainers.
The 86’s sound like a swarm of bees, the Porsches are a louder swarm of bees, and the soot blowing utes are a chance for a toilet break, and snack.

The Saturday Brock auction was somewhat disappointing.
I thought that the cars were real, restored race cars, but most were ‘tribute’ (fake) mockups, so …. interesting to look at, but …..
On Friday when we got tickets, we had been told to be there by 6.45pm as it was to start at 7.00, but that was the opening time, and the auction did not start till 7.45.
Scott Pye’s car took about 15 minutes to sell, then there was a video tribute to PB, and by 9.00pm they had sold his ’87 VL, a pair of gloves, ’01 Targa Tas ute, Mobil rally car, some magazines, and had just started on his Targa Tas XU1.
We then decided that it was way past old farts bedtime, we didn’t have $2M available on our credit cards, and we were likely to be still at the auction and missing the start of Sundays race, so gave the rest a miss.

But, all in all, a great weekend, but nothing like the ‘good ole Holden v Ford days.’

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
My first Bathurst 1000 since last century, I took up an offer of free accommodation in a real house, and thoroughly enjoyed the experience, even though I had lost interest with the V8Supercars on introduction of the COTF..

My first was 1968, (50 years ago … bluddy ‘ell) so my sentimental favourite was the Holdsworth #18 in the Monaro livery from that year.
1994 was the last visit, and at the time wondered who the kid was that was hanging around with PB, so Craig Lowndes’ win this year was a nice bookend. I really felt for David Reynolds’ who had put in a brilliant effort all day until it all fell apart.
But the ‘racing’ is processional, and the mixing up, passing, and speed differentials are long gone.
The Touring Car Masters, if they can race without a crash and safety car, are the big entertainers.
The 86’s sound like a swarm of bees, the Porsches are a louder swarm of bees, and the soot blowing utes are a chance for a toilet break, and snack.

The Saturday Brock auction was somewhat disappointing.
I thought that the cars were real, restored race cars, but most were ‘tribute’ (fake) mockups, so …. interesting to look at, but …..
On Friday when we got tickets, we had been told to be there by 6.45pm as it was to start at 7.00, but that was the opening time, and the auction did not start till 7.45.
Scott Pye’s car took about 15 minutes to sell, then there was a video tribute to PB, and by 9.00pm they had sold his ’87 VL, a pair of gloves, ’01 Targa Tas ute, Mobil rally car, some magazines, and had just started on his Targa Tas XU1.
We then decided that it was way past old farts bedtime, we didn’t have $2M available on our credit cards, and we were likely to be still at the auction and missing the start of Sundays race, so gave the rest a miss.

But, all in all, a great weekend, but nothing like the ‘good ole Holden v Ford days.’

Enjoyed your interesting post "figjam". I agree with what you say.

1968 was our first Bathurst as well. Had been to P.I. in '60 and '61, watched P.I. track break up on TV in '62, so decided with a mate to go to Bathurst in '63 in my Mk2 Sprite.....Got 1/2 way on the Friday night from Melbourne and had a stone tossed up and lost the screen....Too cold to continue, so back home in the freeze.

Was married by '68 so Wife and I went with 2 friends in his Cortina GT that year.......What a wonderful time we had.
Went every year until '77 and stayed at the Victoria Hotel, missed '78 as was too busy with business, but then went until '84.....That was the last.

Doubt I'll ever get back, but it sure is a special circuit.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
this is the first 1000 i've not watched for a long time, doesn't feel right.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
this is the first 1000 i've not watched for a long time, doesn't feel right.

Same, except for the last 1/2 hour or so and aside from Reynolds cramping episode it was pretty pedestrian.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Did the Sierra tribute sell?

Don't know. I have been trying to find out the sale prices, but apparently 'confidentiality clauses' on some cars are preventing publication as to what sold, how much, or if they didn't sell.
I have been to a lot of car auctions, but not of this type, and they are generally frantic affairs,..... bid, bid, bid, all done, bang, over.
This one was really slow, drawn out and dramatic. That was why we left early, no excitement.
But, I did get a very nice book detailing all the cars for sale which will go straight to the pool room, so the kids can inherit it, and throw it away.
Edit …. forgot to mention that Scott Pye's ZB was promoted at auction as a potential dual Bathurst winner (2018 and 2019), and could be worth up to $1M if it did. Hype and hope ??

Last edited:

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
forgot to mention that Scott Pye's ZB was promoted at auction as a potential dual Bathurst winner (2018 and 2019)

So the buyer would have to wait 12 months to get the vehicle ?

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
So the buyer would have to wait 12 months to get the vehicle ?

Yes. The successful bidder gets the rolling chassis, minus engine, at the end of the 2019 series.
In the meantime, the 'owner' gets lots of free rides, hospitality, goodies etc.
Who pays for smash repairs is the $64 question. You would have to have a lot of boxes ticked before buying it.