Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
Hi all just quick question about battery charges/ trickle charges.

Is it ok to Connect the trickle charger to the jumpstart points in the engine bay or should it be off a battery in the boot?

If of the battery in the boot should the battery be disconnected?

The car is a Vf series 1

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Connect to the battery, and battery can be connected.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
As above, connect it directly to your battery

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
Bugger was really hoping it would be ok off the jump start points.
I’ll just run an extension lead from the power point to the back of the car.
Thank you for your responses.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Bugger was really hoping it would be ok off the jump start points.
I’ll just run an extension lead from the power point to the back of the car.
Thank you for your responses.

Or reverse the car upto the power point, instead of forwards

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
Reversing in doesn’t really work in my carport because then I’m blocking the door to my shed where the power point is.

I Need to park the mistress as close as I can to the passenger side to get both cars in the carport.
AF693A7A-E80D-46D2-8498-57508E39E5F1.jpeg
FE53438C-8370-4C6C-BB7A-D987C5E3024F.jpeg
At the moment the Barry (the red car) is parked to far away right from the mistress and it’s hard to get in and out off normally the mirrors are nearly touching.

surfermv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Sortwagon
I was just about to ask the same question, not driving my 2017 VF wagon much anymore, would be A LOT easier to connect the trickle charger under the bonnet than in the boot, rekon it’s ok to close the boot with a the power cable running through the seal long term?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Holden recommend disconnecting and removing the battery when changing it.

Some years ago, we had a car hit a small sub-station down the road. The lights went out with a bang throught our suburb. Power was out for most of the day. We were fine but supposedly some people had mains equipment damage. I suspect such equipment would have been plugged in close to the house power meter.

I'd hate to have a changer plugged in close to the house meter while connected to the battery which is still connected to the car. Any similar power fault/surge could fry the charger and zap some modules within the car. That would be a real pain and an interesting/difficult home/car insurance claim.

OK, it's unlikely as probabilities for such incidence are low but it's so simple to disconnect the battery from the vehicle... and not having the battery connected (somewhat) protects you from vehicle theft.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I'd hate to have a changer plugged in close to the house meter while connected to the battery which is still connected to the car. Any similar power fault/surge could fry the charger and zap some modules within the car. That would be a real pain and an interesting/difficult home/car insurance claim.

Half decent house safety switches prevent electrical fires as a result of surges and/or faults...

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Half decent house safety switches prevent electrical fires as a result of surges and/or faults...
Residual Current Devices are designed to protect people from electrocution. They do this by detecting any imbalance between live and return (or earth lines) and can trip in <45 ms. Such devices do not protect from over voltage or transient spikes nor do they protect circuits from over load. To protect from over voltage or transient spikes you’d use a surge suppressor for such things. To protect from circuit over load, you’d use a circuit breaker (at the required rating)...

You can get combine RCD and CB, such devices are called RCBO’s... haven’t heard of combined RDC’s and surge protectors...

But as some people still live in older homes with ancient grandfathered wiring that has not been updated for years, some people make do with porcelain carriers using old fashioned fuse wire :eek: In such cases, safety, what safety :rolleyes: Even in new houses meeting lates AS/NZ 3000 wiring rules, you don’t see many installs with lightning or surge suppression devices.

So, car smashing into pole can still blow stuff we have plugged into out 240v power points... even in new houses... Rare, rather rare actually, but it can happen...

Last edited: