Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Battery clamp help

Dante_IC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ wagon
Hello people, I am new to the forum, thank you for all the free available content :)

I am in need of a little help. I have a VZ executive wagon. My car doesnt have the battery clamp then doesnt pass the rwc in victoria because of that. I just bought an universal battery holder but now realized it doesnt fit.

Can someone please post an image, draw or diagram of your battery clamp? I dont even know how is the original clamp. Then maybe I can modify the universal one or just buy/built a similar one.

Thank you very much in advance

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Batteries can be held in place a number of ways.

Many vehicle manufacturers use long hook bolts that clip to the base where the battery sits and run through a bar that sits across the top of the battery with its holding everything together. The so-called universal battery clamps are for these type of setup.

Other manufacturers use a metal plate or plastic block that bolts to the base where the battery sits on. In such arrangements the battery itself has a lip on its side at the bottom that this plate or plastic block engages with. This way everything is held firmly together via the battery’s bottom. Now I’m not sure what year commodores started to use such clamping methods but the VY’s seems to use this arrangement, if not earlier models.

Looks like this if looking across the battery

+–––+
! B !
! A !
! T !\\— block-+
+–––+–\\-––––––+
+––– base –––––+

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Yeah, it’s a plastic block with a bolt that holds the battery down.

Dante_IC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ wagon
Thank you very much to all of you. Finally just fitted the universal holder in there and RWC passed :D
I fixed my washerpump as well with my macgyver skills and taken out the fog lamps thank to this forum :)