Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Battery costs

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
Really soon, I gotta upgrade my battery.. She ain't the most reliable as Hozy, hakhawk and vlfury have been able to witness..

I know that HoZy can have his music, semi pumped (3 amps, 10"x2 on parcel shelf with led's etc etc) for at least 15-20 mins and starting with NO problems, however, I have mine on on 2 thirds pumped for enough time for a half a cigarette, with parker lights, and mine dies.

Whats the recommended battery and pricing for a decent (bassy) sound system, where I can hit the bass for a period of time without starting trouble.

I don't want to investigate the dual battery route.

brohawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais
any thing with 550cca's minimum and 10 hours standby will be your best bet.

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
I picked up a 600cca 2.5hrs standby for 119 and had me stezza goin for easy 2hrs with dvds playin and she starts up as soon as u turn the key.....
For my daughters bday i used the car as the stezza n had it goin for 5hrs pumpin Hi-5 and started the car 3 times for bout 5min during that period....
I got it from Repco and has stoped me lights dimmin....

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
mine is prob a bit of a over kill but i got a yellow top optima for $400 and its never gave me a problem have watched 2 movies with it turned up and its started first time..

Also have it turned up when im detailing the car up to 4-5 hrs and it has never gone flat............

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
*starts saving*

Morgasshk

Morgasshk
Reaction score
Website
www.personaltradingpost.com.au
Members Ride
VY Exec 3.8L Sedan 9C1 Pack
Nice, I'm looking into that as well... There are ones you can get for around $100 that no maintenance, 3 year warranty and the 2.5hrs standby etc. 600cca

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
Max i've had my stereo going, close to ear bleeding while ur in the car, while im actually detailing my car 3-4hours... at close to max.... start first go.

left stereo on for 14hours before, at medium volume and car started!!!!!!! accidently left it on all night

And yes............ I run 3 amps and a shitload of interior lighting.

cheers
MaT

EDIT: Idealy, I want a Optima Bluetop 900cca battery :) Like what was in my bro's show monaro...

I do want to shove a 110amp alternator on an **** off my 85amp...

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Beware of Yellow tops if you are using to start with. If it's your one and only battery then be aware it MAY fail withina couple of years as it is a deep cycle battery.

HoZy...your interior lighting is LEDs. LEDs draw less power then a bees dick. Don't think that because you have three amps that you have high current draw. You actually would have less then a similar power system using only one amp.

Trent...just replace your battery with what it is already in there. You don't need an upgraded battery. You just need a NEW battery.

I use to run a reasonable sized system off of a 375CCA battery for several hourus on end without an issue.

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
Yellow tops are not a deep cycle as such they are also used for cranking aswell. Mate has had one in his car for 2-3 years and never a prob and still going strong

see below taken from the Optima web site

Demand more from your vehicle? Then get more from your battery. OPTIMA YellowTop batteries are made for the extremes. If you have an extreme vehicle, you expect high performance. Whether your vehicle is made to take the abuse of off-road driving or cranking out decibels, you need more from your battery. OPTIMA batteries with patented SPIRALCELL® Technology deliver that performance. The deep cycle characteristic of this technology coupled with its extreme resistance to vibration provides performance vehicles with the repetitive power they need in a spill-proof package.

If your vehicle has a lot of accessories like running lights, high-performance stereo/AV system, winches, or hydraulics, your vehicle demands more from its battery. OPTIMA YellowTOP batteries provide the extra performance and deep cycling capability that your vehicle demands.

Also see this link

http://www.optimabatteries.com/publ...onfig/product_info/automotive/deep_cycle.html

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
12Voltking said:
Beware of Yellow tops if you are using to start with. If it's your one and only battery then be aware it MAY fail withina couple of years as it is a deep cycle battery.

HoZy...your interior lighting is LEDs. LEDs draw less power then a bees dick. Don't think that because you have three amps that you have high current draw. You actually would have less then a similar power system using only one amp.

Trent...just replace your battery with what it is already in there. You don't need an upgraded battery. You just need a NEW battery.

I use to run a reasonable sized system off of a 375CCA battery for several hourus on end without an issue.

Also run 4 neons, and bunch of standard 12v bulbs.......

Cheers
MaT