Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Battery Cut Off Switch/Isolator Switch

commodorev6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais V6
I'm thinking of installing a Battery Isolator Switch/Cut off switch on my VS Calais negative battery terminal. I have a sealed RACV 550 amp battery. The car gets driven about twice a week so I want to reserve the battery power/reduce drainage and not have to charge it often to get optimum charge.

Is this a good idea and could there be any side effects? One side effect I read about was potentially blowing a fuse if you start the car when the switch/dial is set to off.

I'm thinking of getting the brass connection with the green dial found at the local auto parts store. Can anyone recommend these or had any bad experiences with these switches?

Thanks

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Why? If its being driven twice it should never need a charge. Everytime you turn that dial... your car forgets everything.. well your radio will at least. If your cutting the earth, there shouldn't be any blown fuses.

But your car wont need a charge after a few days... should be at least a week.... mine can go two weeks with an alarm fitted and a bunch of ither accessories.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
As Tas says ^^^If your battery is in good condition to start with and you haven't got any abnormal current drain, there is no need.
I can't see how you are going to blow any fuses if you try to start the car when the battery isolator switch is off; there is no power to them.
One thing I do know is, that a fuse wont blow if there is no power running through it.