Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Battery drain\fuel problem?

Toy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
hey guys, I need some help\confirmation, since I haven't been doing this long enough. I've had a fuel problem for ages, like in a previous post, but only yesterday, when I went to drop kids off at school and day care, I noticed the strong smell of fuel, and then went to crank my car and it whined and died. I thought it might have been because of me playing around with the sub and amp trying to get it to work again, so I disconnected it completely. So I got a jump start and it was running fine all day, until it sat overnight and it died again. had a stronger smell of fuel. So I'm just wondering, could it be the fuel pump that's staying on? I don't have access to the industry anymore and I've got next to no cash, it makes it hard to go see someone. I need the car for, job interviews and doing school and day care runs, so the help will be appreciated very much.

Toy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
ok, so I know a lot of people would be like check the voltage for the battery drain, its sitting at about 13.71 when the car is off. I've tried taking out the fuel pump relay and fuse, but that's still having a massive drain. the alternator doesn't seem to anything of the problem considering its charging at about 14.71. Would there be anything else that I would have to look for with the drain? It's got and aftermarket head unit, but that was in the car when I got it and I haven't had a problem with the drainage issue until just the other day, and that was when I was trying to figure out the amp problem I had. I had been running the amp and sub in the car for couple months with no problem before too.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
13.71 when car is off? for how long? 13.71 should disappear almost immediately... then settle down to 12.xx

Sounds to me like you have crook battery. As for fuel smell, check the condition of the gasket on the fuel cap.

Toy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
yeah I know it should drop back to 12 quickly,and yeah 13.71 when car is off. and ive had the meter on for about a minute and it was still like that. the battery isn't that old either. I had checked the battery a few weeks ago and it was fine at about 12.3-12.4. that's what really stumped me. and the gasket on the fuel cap isn't gone. as it is inside the car the smell is.

adam10_1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore S2 Ute Manual
Where about in Brisbane are you located mate?

See with your amp it has a remote power line that runs to the head unit (tells the amp to turn on when the stereo is)
Did you have the head unit out at all? Did you change any wires on the amp or head unit?

I'm happy to have a look at it if you need, I am no longer in the industry but still work on a few cars for mates and such.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
you havent peirced the tank by securing the sub to the floor?

check your carcol canister, could be blocked or the hoses have perished. when is the smeel of fuel the strongest when the car is full or doesnt matter how much fuel u have?

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
You don't check a battery drain by measuring the voltage. You need to measure the current (amperes) moving between the +ve terminal of the battery and the car. You need to plug your black multimeter lead into the COM port and the red lead into an Amp port. Start with the highest one (10A on my multimeter) and then move the lead to a lower measuring port (mA) if the current permits (in my case < 200mA. You need to remove the +ve battery terminal and connect the leads in series between the battery terminal and the battery lead. Make sure the +ve battery lead doesn't touch anything other than the multimeter lead. DON'T turn on the ignition with the leads connected like that.

Toy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
i never screwed the sub down, so I know I havent pierced it at all. it doesnt matter how much fuel is in the car. the fuel consumption has been **** since I bought the car, and just needing money to service it. I havent noticed any perished hoses. I only checked the volts on the battery because wife was having to leave for work and I needed to jump start it and then having to deal with the kids. so I haven't had much time to look at it since ive been out all day, so I'll check the current when I can. As for the wiring for the amp, it was all done properly, I only slid the stereo out and connected the remote wire and that, that way.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Main causes of current drain are glovebox light, boot light, interior light(s), alarm system (especially if the backup battery has failed), internal failure in the alternator, centre console light.

adam10_1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore S2 Ute Manual
Do you think maybe the alternator can be charging correctly then drawing the power back out again (cant remember how it was explained to me but has happened before)