Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Battery flat after 2 days!

djses9

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR SS
My battery goes flat after 2 days - Its not the internal lights or the boot light/s
and it's not the stereo. What ever it is it's drawing nearly 3 amps! (when checked at the battery with key off). I'm no auto electrician so dont know where else to look!
It has a dynatron alarm, could this be the cause? If so does any one know how to
disconnect it? because I know it immobilises the car.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Immobilisers can fail and cause your problem. To test whether the alternator has bad diodes you will need to remove the thick cable that is bolted to the rear of the alternator. Be careful when doing and don't let the cable earth out as it is unfused. If it sparks when removed that will indicate the diodes are bad.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
If nothing in the car is running like lights etc then it's probably a field diode in the alternator.

djses9

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR SS
will try suggestions and post reply - cheers

stealthvn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammed & stalled vu ss
hay guys i have the same problem on my ss i will let u know how it goes once battery is recharged

stealthvn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammed & stalled vu ss
so to fix this would you suggest just replace the alt?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I wouldn't replace the alt just because the battery is flat...first I'd decide if maybe the battery is past it's use-by-date. then if the red charge light has been lit I'd do some checks to see if it is repairable. If the red light is not lit when running I would then use a multimeter to check that the voltage across the battery at about 1000rpm was above 14V....if it wasn't I'd check the brushes/regulator.
But the first thing is to find out why your battery is flat. Good Luck.

stealthvn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammed & stalled vu ss
yea i thought it was the battery first so i replaced that but same prob ill recharge battery then disconnect the wire and see how i go, its only going flat while car is turned off all lights are off and i have disconnected amp ect