Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Battery going flat

dah_man_ben

Reaction score
Members Ride
Tesla Model 3 Performance, Mazda 6
So, I feel like I am having a blast from the past of my old '07 Calais V.

In the last 2 months, my SSV (only a year old), has started going flat randomly. Happened about 7 times so far, at random times, even just having the car off for 10 minutes, today again even after driving 40km. Then it might be ok for another week.

It's got me stuffed, I even charged the battery out of the car a while back.

Anyway, she's going on Tuesday to get sorted at Holdens... I don't have much faith in them though, my local dealer is hopeless, I'm sure it will take me 4+ visits to get it sorted.

Anybody else had this issue?

Cheers :beer chug:

Jimunj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
So, I feel like I am having a blast from the past of my old '07 Calais V.

In the last 2 months, my SSV (only a year old), has started going flat randomly. Happened about 7 times so far, at random times, even just having the car off for 10 minutes, today again even after driving 40km. Then it might be ok for another week.

It's got me stuffed, I even charged the battery out of the car a while back.

Anyway, she's going on Tuesday to get sorted at Holdens... I don't have much faith in them though, my local dealer is hopeless, I'm sure it will take me 4+ visits to get it sorted.

Anybody else had this issue?

Cheers :beer chug:

Sounds as simple as a dud battery mate... I'd get RACV to come out and test it before taking it back to the dealership and stuffing around with them

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Battery issue

Batca

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv sportwagon
Battery issue

Most likely. I had a similar problem with a motorcycle battery. It was less than a year old and started to always go flat. Would hook it up to a charger and charger green light would indicate straight away it was charged. Put back in bike and it wouldn't start.

Ended up taking it back to Battery World and they tested the cranking capacity. Battery was stuffed they replaced it.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
I have had similar battery issues before, sometimes they just lose a few cells, or just intermittently go flat. My battery used to be fine except in hot weather, then it would die.

If you have access to a good battery charger you can plug it up and it will run its tests and tell you if the battery is a dud.
I recently bought one and found out that I had 3 faulty batteries on my hands, which would explain why they would sometimes work then other times not.

dah_man_ben

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hmm. Cheers blokes - It's going in on Tuesday anyway for a service, I'll try to get them to sort it. Otherwise after I get it back I'll try RAA or similar.

I did notice, it has always sat at 14 - 15V when driving. Recently it has alternated between 14/15V and 12V (I am talking about the reading on the dash)... It has recently been up at 14v for about 10 minutes after starting then dropped to 12v. If I leave the headlights on, it will remain at 14V or higher indefinitely.

I am wondering if either 1, the computer is detecting the battery is full (when its not) and turning down voltage, or 2, the battery is actually full after several minutes (because it is stuffed), and other than that, everything is working as it should.

See how she goes on Tuesday!

Cheers lads.

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
Is it correct that the VF S1 stops the alternator charging when the battery voltage reaches eg. 14.2V or so?

Something about getting better economy/emissions etc. ?

Craterface

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 HSV GTS
Is it correct that the VF S1 stops the alternator charging when the battery voltage reaches eg. 14.2V or so?

Something about getting better economy/emissions etc. ?

Yes, its called regulated charge control and has been used in the Commodore from VE onwards.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
What type of battery you have in there and CCA and model if you can see it.

When batteries have failed cells, they still mostly show correct voltage, even that green viewing window to check their condition would be green for the most part.

But under load, they fail

But, be interesting to hear the verdict.

dah_man_ben

Reaction score
Members Ride
For those who suggested it, battery was rooted. Wouldn't do it under warranty as the battery only has a year warranty.. bloody scabs.

Anyway, I've had another battery put in (bigger one from the Camaro in the USA) and its already a whole lot better.

Cheers