Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Battery Hook Up

S Pack

Topped out @ 230kph
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mercedes E-Class 2007, E220 CDI Wagon
A few monthes ago two wires behind head unit touched each other burnt plastic and two blown fuses. Used electrcal tape around bare wires and no have to hook up 3 wires under the hood.

1. Black wire (earth) connected to body of car with a bunch of other wires

2. Red wire - dunno where this went/goes

3. Pink/blue wire - same as number 2

I have tried both on the positive battery terminal but no power getting to head unit. When i touched the earth on the negative while other two were on positive sparks and blown fuse.

Unit instructions said both wires go on the positive terminal. I dont know if this is right or not.

Any info is much appreciated.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Internal problem with the head unit and needs to be repaired.

S Pack

Topped out @ 230kph
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mercedes E-Class 2007, E220 CDI Wagon
Tried a different unit and same happened. Could the 3 wires be touching each other somewhere where i cant see (near the firewall) would this blow the fuse. I bypassed (cut off) the fuse box and did a straight wire and nothing happened.

Since doing this i am getting a hell of a lot better fuel economy. I dont know why.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
They are most likely shorting out somewhere along the lines, a cheats way out is this....

Run NEW power wires direct to the battery...although there should only be one...but I won't ask!

Then run a new earth wire from the CD player direct to the chassis of the car....try where the cd player bolts into the car, an earth only needs to be a metal part of the car...ANYWHERE. Leave the old earth in the car but tape off it's ends so it doesn't short out again. Beware, this is not a proper solution and really should be rewired which is quite costly. You've been warned.