Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Battery installation advice

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
I'm possibly going to be putting my new battery in the car tomorrow, and I have new battery terminals that'll be going on there too. The battery terminal has inputs for 1x0 gauge, 2x4 gauge, and it also has 2 screws on top for further small wires with ring terminals.
My question is, what's the best way to get the stock wires into this terminal? I'll be using the 0 gauge for my audio installation, so that'll be running to the boot, but I've got the two 4 gauge's free. I just had a look and from what I can tell, I've got two 4 gauge stock wires going to the battery now from places that I dont know, and then two other wires which are only small, and I can easily extend them using crimps. How would I extend the thicker wires? Is there a 4 gauge crimp I can get?

Here are a couple of photos to show what stock wires I have. The red wires are one's that I've added so don't worry about them, I've got them covered.

The 4's on the image are pointing to the 4 gauge wires, and the 10A arrows are pointing to wires that are around the same thickness of the red extra wires I've added that are showing in the image, they're able to handle 10 amps.
photo140witharrows.jpg

Here is the battery terminal
photo142i.jpg

Any help is greatly appreciated..

Last edited:

caaf

Reaction score
Website
www.aurfscan.com.au
Members Ride
VYII Equipe S/wagon V6
I look at this and thing OMG you have allot of shite hanging off.. Maybe get yourself a decent inline fuse to accommodate all four of your smaller tails (much like the fuse carrier shown in your pictures) As at least then you shouldn't need to have everything hanging off the battery and tuck them away a bit more neatly. Plus I'd personally solder the cables together before attempting to put them in the fuse carrier... Sozz had a few cans to the brain is working but I'm not sure if the fingers typing are :p

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
Yeah I know I've got a lot of stuff off there, which is why I'm cleaning it up with this battery terminal. I'd really like to see some photos of people's batteries, if they've put on a different battery terminal like I'll be doing. I know a lot of people have, so hopefully they'll have a look and be able to post a photo just so I can get an idea..

As to soldering caaf, I have all the stuff, but I don't know about soldering 4 gauge.. I'm not that confident with it...