Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Battery Light Question (common issue)

V

vp manual wagon

Well, I'm sure all commodore owners with experience know that the battery light coming on is a common issue, and its to do with the alternator, I was told by an RACV guy that all that usually needs to be changed is the alternator brushes...... is this an easy task? Where do I get alternator brushes from, and how much will it cost me? Help would be Much appreciated and I'm embarrased to say that I haven't done anything about it for like....6 7 months now lol..... Bloody poor tafe student!:bang:

-Thanks, -Dave

s_pack

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VY SS
Bearings isn't too hard a job, trying to rememember now (haven't done it in ages) but yeah, rip the alternator out, pull it to pieces, and you'll see. Pretty hard to go wrong, it all only goes back together one way. And yeah, can pickup bearings from sprints or whatever auto shops you got down that way nice and cheap.

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
5sp VN Executive1988, VX SS 6sp
He wanted the brushes replaced didnt he??? My dad changed his brushes in the alternator a while back in his HG kingswood. Im guessing its about the same. Just have to pull apart alternator and slot in the new brushes. Well thats on a HG i dono bout a VN. They are also cheep. Got them at autopro.

commy92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP WAGON V6
so so so easy to do. you basically unbolt the pully. ip the bearing out of that and replace. Rip the centre out of the alt then replace the bearing and bush in that. Check the weavey stuff cant remember its name. Make sure its not short circuited out you will be able to tell caues it will be burnt and stuff. I think thats all of it then just bolt it back together. Chuck it on and bob is your uncle

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
vp manual wagon said:
Well, I'm sure all commodore owners with experience know that the battery light coming on is a common issue, and its to do with the alternator, I was told by an RACV guy that all that usually needs to be changed is the alternator brushes...... is this an easy task? Where do I get alternator brushes from, and how much will it cost me? Help would be Much appreciated and I'm embarrased to say that I haven't done anything about it for like....6 7 months now lol..... Bloody poor tafe student!:bang:

-Thanks, -Dave
Myn is going on and off some times, Does yours ever make the dash light up 4 times brighter? Myn has caused a blown driving light.

fu2

The Man With No Name
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina II - GU Patrol CRD
the but you want to replace is at the back of the alternator.
take it off and on the back it like a cap which by memory is held on by 2 screws. open that up and pull it out and replace it. easy job

s_pack

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VY SS
My mistake, seems like you would be replacing the regulator, not the bearings.. The regulator is the black thing on the back, basically it has brushses that come into contact with a pair of slip rings that are on the end of the rotor. These brushes wear down over time, sometimes unevenly too, so basically they end up having **** contact and will cause your battery light to come on. New regulator should fix the problem,

Demons1964

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais, WHII Statesman V8, VC L 202
As above. Probably regulator bushes worn too far, or the regulator itself is kaputski.

Directions: Disconnect the battery and unscrew the regulator & brush assy from the rear of the alternator. Check the travel length of the brushes (minimum is supposed to be 4mm but it can start failing well before then - mine started giving trouble at 7mm travel). Check the condition of the solder joints as well. New brushes are less than $10 if you can solder them yourself, or a new Bosch regulator/brush assy is about $40.

Mark.

V

vp manual wagon

Thanks guys, help is much appreciated, the light flicks on and off and the headlights dim too, so I I'll get new a new regulator etc,

-Dave