Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Battery not holding charge (Please help asap)

scatterybrane_007

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Hi guys,

battery in my VR not holding charge. It happened a few days before and i thought that its battery prob but turned out to be some other as i bought a new one and put that in but it worked for a couple of hours and then gone dead. Now the car is not starting and im stuck in frnd's place and dont know wat to do. Please help

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
First get the battery recharged or arranged a jump-start. Then figure out what is causing it to go flat....something is probably switched on when you think it is off....has any electrical work been recently done to the car - if so recheck it.....when you reconnect the battery if it gives a big spark then the power is leaking somewhere.
The main cable to the alternator can break off and cause a short so check that as well.
Good Luck.

tully2007

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive Wagon Manual
If you can get your hands on a multimeter check the voltage of the battery it should read over 12 volts. When you get the car started check the battery again it should read over 14 volts if it is being charged by the alternator. If it's not getting 14 + volts, bushes and regulator may need replacing. If there is a short circuit that might be draining the battery I would think you should see smoke!

Beny

Reaction score
Website
s654.photobucket.com
Members Ride
VS Commy V6
Yea its your alternator get a 2nd hand one and fit it ur self the electrical is simple and its only like 3 bolts holding it on there really easy. Im a electricain and the same thing happend to my vs you could test it with testers if avalable but not alot else it can be and for 25-50 buks for a 2nd hand one compared to 300 inc labour to get it done at a shop you would be silly not to.

statesmanWH

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman
Happened to a couple commodores I have owned. I am not very good with cars but changing the alternator is not hard. If you charge the battery it should last long enough to drive a fair distance if you don't use your headlights or air-con. You should be able to hear if the bearings have gone in the alternator.

08sky_way

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim
Before buying a new regulator or alternator, I'd go along with hako's suggestion. I was caught out by an auto electrician renewing an alternator when all that was wrong was an incorrectly adjusted switch on the boot lid that activated the light for the boot even when the lid was closed.