Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Battery off/on switch?

ascottaudio

AscottAudio
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V8
Hi.

I do not drive my VE (2007 calais v8) very much at the moment as I have other cars at my disposal.

The battery seems to be holding charge ok at this point.
I was just wondering if there is such a thing as a battery disconnect switch..sure.. one can take the terminals off/on the battery..but it would be very convenient to just flick a switch of some type to disconnect the battery..anyone hear of such a thing?

Also.. is there any problem disconecting and reconnecting the battery like this? (resets the computer etc)

And..I was recently told (by a mechanic) that a lot of modern batteries will not charge up if you take the car for a decent run..they need to be put on a charger..any thoughts on this?

I guess all in all I am just wondering if I should do anything along these lines if I am not driving the car very much

Thanks

Omega6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Omega
give the calais to me !

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Hi.

And..I was recently told (by a mechanic) that a lot of modern batteries will not charge up if you take the car for a decent run..they need to be put on a charger..any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Sounds like a fail to me.

FYI you can connect an automatic charger to your battery in the car to save removing it.

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
The mechanics not talking crap. Calcium batteries will not fully recharge on the alternator alone if they get down quite low on charge. They will need a charger to bring them back up to 100%.
I have a ctek charger which is an excellent charger for these batteries. You don't have to remove the battery or disconnect the terminals at all, makes it easy and usually brings the battery up within 24hrs.

Last edited:

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Ctek are about the best you can get.

bogan_vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
id use an automatic charger but the isolator is one of these

RayLamp

Gone Fishin'...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline and LTZ RG Colorado
My boat has a battery isolator switch. If it can have one, you could sure buy one and fit it to your car.