Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Battery or alternator issues? VZ SSZ won't start.

Jazzakat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Ute / VT Commodore
Hi guys, I've done a lot of browsing and found people with similar problems but not quiet the same as mine. I was wondering what your opinions on the matter were or if anyone has had anything similar and was able to resolve the issue.

I have a 2005 VZ SSZ Ute. I replaced the battery less than a year ago and the terminals roughly 2-3 months ago as they wouldn't get a very good connection and i would occasionally have to jiggle them to get the car started. After I replaced the terminals I had no issues with the starting at all it would start first shot every shot. Though I had shoulder surgery 2 months ago and didn't drive the car for around a month. When I did it was working fine up untill last week it just wouldn't start. When I jumped it, it started first kick after less than 5 seconds of being Jumped. I then drove 2 hours and went out shopping etc.. for a couple hours came back and it started fine and I drove home. The next morning it started fine. Now though it is extremely temperamental. It won't start in the mornings and sometimes starts after being driven for a bit. It has no issues while driving doesn't die on me all the electrics work etc..
When I try and start it the lights, radio, fans everything works the gauges say it is about 11-12 volts but all it does is click once. I put multimeters on the battery while it was off and it read like 12.2v or something and when I tried starting it went down a bit. When it was jumped and running it sat at 14.4 volts so I don't think the alternator is broken. Could it be possible the battery is just rooted?

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
Hi guys, I've done a lot of browsing and found people with similar problems but not quiet the same as mine. I was wondering what your opinions on the matter were or if anyone has had anything similar and was able to resolve the issue.

I have a 2005 VZ SSZ Ute. I replaced the battery less than a year ago and the terminals roughly 2-3 months ago as they wouldn't get a very good connection and i would occasionally have to jiggle them to get the car started. After I replaced the terminals I had no issues with the starting at all it would start first shot every shot. Though I had shoulder surgery 2 months ago and didn't drive the car for around a month. When I did it was working fine up untill last week it just wouldn't start. When I jumped it, it started first kick after less than 5 seconds of being Jumped. I then drove 2 hours and went out shopping etc.. for a couple hours came back and it started fine and I drove home. The next morning it started fine. Now though it is extremely temperamental. It won't start in the mornings and sometimes starts after being driven for a bit. It has no issues while driving doesn't die on me all the electrics work etc..
When I try and start it the lights, radio, fans everything works the gauges say it is about 11-12 volts but all it does is click once. I put multimeters on the battery while it was off and it read like 12.2v or something and when I tried starting it went down a bit. When it was jumped and running it sat at 14.4 volts so I don't think the alternator is broken. Could it be possible the battery is just rooted?
i'd say battery mate

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
with engine running check battery volts should be approx 13.8v at idle, this will tell you your alt is charging, get the battery load tested will tell if cell is weak or died/dying, if these are good then starter is dying

Eevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
battery is sulfated or has dropped a cell.

1ntercept

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Executive 5.7 Gen3/VE2 Omega Wagon
Dropped cell. Winter will make or break a battery in my experience.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
If a member of an Auto Club (RACV, NRMA, RACQ etc) get a Patrolman to call and perform a 'load test' on your battery. Otherwise take the vehicle or battery to a reputable Auto Electrician (or mate with the right equipment). The result will leave you in no doubt as to the real condition and if it should be replaced or not.

1ntercept

Reaction score
Members Ride
Another thing you can try before dropping hundreds on a new bat. If you have access to a charger and if your close you can have mine, recharge it 100% then drive for half an hour. Park it up over night and hit it again. If it stammers or lags on the ignition key turn, the batts f***** :(

DeanoV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
I struggle to get 2 years out of a battery in my VZ, I think its because it is so hot under the bonnet, I note that in later models VE etc that the battery is no longer under the bonnet. How long do others get out of a battery?

1ntercept

Reaction score
Members Ride
I struggle to get 2 years out of a battery in my VZ, I think its because it is so hot under the bonnet, I note that in later models VE etc that the battery is no longer under the bonnet. How long do others get out of a battery?

Generally heat is not the main killer of batteries. Incorrect size (+- amp loadage) cold weather and lack of use will put a strain on the cells, mainly wet cells. Two years does sound strange, however. It might pay to invest in a high quality dry cell and expect to pay up to nearly $300. But you'll get years and years out of these and are covered by a solid warranty period.

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
As I don't use my ute as an everyday drive, I invested $100 and purchased a Maintenance charger. It can be left on indefinently. I mounted it on the wall and when I want to use it just plug it in to the plug which gets fixed the battery terminals and walk away.:rofl2: