Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

BATTERY PROBLEM

Justin16

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx 5.7
I’ve got a vx ss
I’ve replaced the alternator about 2 weeks ago was told the battery in the car is too small but didn’t have any problems since now the car even after a drive is flat straight away now I’ve replaced the battery with a battery 6 months old and correct size and took it for a good drive and turned it off tried to start it straight away boom dead battery again it starts with a jump start but that’s it NEED HELP ASAP

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
Was the alternator new, if not hows the condition of the voltage regulator. .
Condition of the battery terminal connectors.
How old is the battery you used 6 months ago, maybe time for a brand new battery.
Is the alternator belt tight, condition of the belt tensioner.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Have you used a multimeter to verify that the new alternator is charging the battery?

If you haven't used the battery for six months it's probably gone flat, and beyond the ability of a car alternator to bring it back to life! You may be able to resurrect it using a heavy duty charger but it's probably not worth the expense. Once you have verified that the alternator is charging properly, do as NeddyBear suggests, and purchase a new battery.

One other possibility, is that there is a signal wire that attaches to the alternator and tells it when to charge the battery. If that wire hasn't been reconnected, or if the wire or connector have become corroded, the alternator won't charge the battery.

Last edited: