Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Battery re-connection issues

myls362

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
Thanks to never ending lockdowns I haven’t been driving the SSVR that much. On the last start the engine was turning over slowly so I thought it would be good to charge the battery overnight.

I disconnected the battery, gave it a charge overnight. Voltage is now much healthier. Now I have some issues:
- Drivers window refused to open. Every other window including the sunroof did open. Weirdly the same thing happened on the Colorado when I disconnected the battery. A GM thing?
- TPMS won’t reconnect
- Outside temp not working

I tried the disconnect/ reconnect, still have the above issues. I removed the 30amp fuse in the boot for the drivers window. Success! But still the TPMS will not connect and no outside temp.
Any ideas?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Has it been driven since you charged the battery?

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Is it a calcium battery? Is the charger right for the type of battery?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
buy a maintenance trickle charger that can be plugged in while the vehicle is in storage.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Check all fuses as one/some may have inadvertently blown on reconnecting a fully charged battery (though i doubt it unless the terminals sparked when fitting the battery)...

The tyre pressure sensors have an internal non replacable battery with a 10 year service life but doubt all would have died at the same time. The tyre pressure sensor can be read to check pressure and battery level using a Holden test tool or some of the better ebay clones.

As is, the tyre presure sensors will transmit if there is a pressure change which is 2psi(?) different to the last pressure reading internally stored within the sensor itself. Any transmitted data is picked up by the the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR). The RCDLR passes this pressure data to Body Control Module (BCM). Finally the BCM sends the data to the Driver Information Center (DIC) for display. Pressure transmissions can occur when the tyre pressure sendors are either in STANDBY or DRIVE state but the TPMS system needs to be awake to pick them up....

If the vehicles battery is disconected, all the tyre pressure sensor ID's are retained by the BCM but tire pressure information is purposefully discarded since the system has no way to know how long it's been powered down and what state the tyre pressures are at. As such, all dashes are shown for each tyre pressure position within the DIC. Also, the tyre pressor sensors will be in a standby state (obviously as the car can't be driven when it doesn't have a battery). In such cases the tyre pressure sensors wont transmit anythin unless the pressure changes but even then the cars TPMS sis dead to the world (no power after all)... So, when reconnecting teh cars battery, they cars systems should wake up and the tyre pressure sensors will only transmit data if the tyre pressure changes or the spensor wakes up (via an internal accelerometer). The tyre pressure sensors will wake up if driving >40kph for at least 2 minutes and at this time the sensors should transmit their pressure readings and they should be displayed in the DIC. If there is a fault in the TPMS, a DTC is set.

So... check for DTC's... go for a drive and stay above 40kph for more than 2 minutes (hard to do with stop signs and traffic lights so get on a freway)... If the system still doesn't work, you'll need a TPMS test tool to read the sensor battery status...

As to the outside temp sensor, i have no ideas...

Last edited:

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Do you have to disconnect the battery to charge it?

Not if you have a charger that goes to 'float' mode when the battery is charged.
I have 3 "Battery Fighter" s which are always connected when I am not using the cars. Inconvenient to be disconnecting/connecting when the car is needed, but far less inconvenient than a flat battery.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The alternator can pump out all sorts of volts to change the cars battery including zapping it when in a desulphation mode. Yes, the car's charging system can desulphate a bettery... As such, one must expect that Holden ensured all the devices powered by the battery are robust enough to cope with the voltages and waveforms pumped out by the alternator (especially the desulpation mode waveforms)...

So an external smart charger doesn't do anything worse than the alternator/generator would so there is no need to disconnect the battery from the vehicle.

As is, the workshop manual says the same though they do say to check that the battery cable terminals are tight... The manual also warn that if a battery has discharged to 65% of capacity (12.45v @ 25c) that it should be charged (using an external charger) before returning to service (driveing the car)...

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline

not with a charger that is designed to be attached while the battery is connected - old natty ones, not so much. modern trickle/maintenance chargers can be retrofitted to the vehicle permanently.