Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Battery re-connection issues

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
TPMS wheel sensors are supposed to have a 10 year service life. If your car's TPMS wheel sensors have failed prematurely you could consider it a durability failure under ACL and as such discuss a statutory warranty claim with the dealer.

Otherwise take some vasoline with you to the spare parts counter cause you'll get a reaming on the price of the factory sensors. An alternative is doing a google search and buying a set of TPMS wheel sensors via eBay... I believe the frequency used by Holden is 433Mhz and cost is rather varied...

Have a look at this page as it lists some sensors for Holden commodore range, 2011-2017. The first sensor listed p/n: 5623990 and if you click on it you will see that this sensor is compatible with a large range of vehicle manufacturers models/years... That means with a little research you should be able to find a well priced cheap sensor from a selection of vehicle manufacturers spare parts outlets that will work on the Holden... or buy a well priced one from eBay where the seller confirms it will work with your 2015 Caprice...

This is an interesting article about TPMS in GM vehicles and has an interesting relearn procedure at the end (though not sure if it works for out VF's but i see no reason it shouldn't).

Google and a bit of research is your friend...

Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Where can I obtain a quality set of Tyre Pressure Sensors?

Do you already have TPMS? If not, you'll also need valve stems to suit the sensors.
Everything is available on eBay, look for a reputable seller, selling 'Schrader' brand 433mhz sensors.

The link provided by @Skylarking is a 'deflation' method used on VE's, it doesn't work with VF2(not sure with VF1).
VF series 2 needs a TPMS tool to activate the sensors so the vehicle smarts can read them.
This tool also works with VE's.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
... The link provided by @Skylarking is a 'deflation' method used on VE's, it doesn't work with VF2(not sure with VF1).
VF series 2 needs a TPMS tool to activate the sensors so the vehicle smarts can read them.
The process specified in the link is not the deflation method ;) The article states:

3. Press and hold the keyless entry fob transmitter’s LOCK and UNLOCK buttons, at the same time, for about five seconds to start the TPMS learn mode. The horn sounds twice indicating the TPMS receiver is ready and in learn mode.
4. Starting with the left front tire, active the sensor by holding the TPMS tool aimed upward against the tire sidewall close to the wheel rim at the valve stem location. Press and release the activate button and wait for a horn chirp.

I must get one of those cheap activtion tools off eBay and chuck it in the tool bag along with all the others :p

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
The process specified in the link is not the deflation method ;) The article states:

3. Press and hold the keyless entry fob transmitter’s LOCK and UNLOCK buttons, at the same time, for about five seconds to start the TPMS learn mode. The horn sounds twice indicating the TPMS receiver is ready and in learn mode.
4. Starting with the left front tire, active the sensor by holding the TPMS tool aimed upward against the tire sidewall close to the wheel rim at the valve stem location. Press and release the activate button and wait for a horn chirp.

I must get one of those cheap activtion tools off eBay and chuck it in the tool bag along with all the others :p

You are correct, although on the Magnum I didn't need to press the buttons on the key fog, that was a VE thing.
VF2, get the TPMS screen on the DIC, press and hold the button on the end of the indicator stalk, then follow the prompts.
If you're looking for a TPMS tool, don't get a cheapie, get something a bit more upmarket.
As well as activating the sensors, they can read the sensor battery condition and check your key fob output effectiveness.

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF2 Commodore Calais V8
Do you already have TPMS? If not, you'll also need valve stems to suit the sensors.
Everything is available on eBay, look for a reputable seller, selling 'Schrader' brand 433mhz sensors.

The link provided by @Skylarking is a 'deflation' method used on VE's, it doesn't work with VF2(not sure with VF1).
Would the TPMS tool be availible from the same ebay site?

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
CTEK MXS 5.0 smart trickle charger...about $150 and no need to pull the battery out, Job done.....

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Would the TPMS tool be availible from the same ebay site?
Google should help you find TPMS tools on eBay ;)

You can buy basic TPMS activation tool for around $20 or a more capable TPMS diagnostic tool that reads battery status and does other clever things for around $250 or you can go the whole hog and
buy a wiz bank vehicle diagnostics tool that does almost everything car related for around $1500.

There is even one TPMS tool that comes with some wheel sensors :cool:

The above are AUTEL units but I haven’t researched them. There are also many other brands.. But these links should gives you an idea of capability and cost.

If you find something you are thinking of buying but not sure, start a thread and ask as someone may have some experience with that specific tool... Google will also help... Which one to get comes down to what sort of maintenance you want to be doing on your car and what sort of cost you can justify on tools :p

But we’ve gone off topic here... so back on track, a CTEK smart charger is a great investment in getting the most life out of your battery, especially if you don’t drive much (cause COVID) :p

I Wish

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, Nitrate Silver Wagon
Victron Blue Smart battery chargers is another alternative to the Ctek's.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
trickle charger is one of the best things (other than brmm brmm bits) that i've ever bought for my weekender.

I have one of these guys, toyed with mounting it permanently but decided against it.

1603153590304.png