Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Battery Saving Mode

Hunter SS

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
I had that message come up on my dash the other day...... i had been polishing the car using a 12 volt electric buffer, and listening to music reasonably loud..... i started the car and backed it down the driveway into the sun so i could re-polish it with a microfibre cloth. Still listening to the music.... i went to drive into town to get something and once it had gone through the checks, that message came up on the dash. The car started normally, wasn't sluggish or anything. So i upped the revs to about 1,500 for a minute or so, the stopped it and started it again and the message was gone. I am guessing it was because i had **** running for a long time......
Everything was working ok...... what exactly is the story with this mode?

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
the battery voltage had dropped a bit, the ecm disabled some feature to enable a fast charge to bring the charge up a bit faster,

i actually got a holden document today about the charging system in the ve's, very interesting and very different to how this normally work, but this is the new technology emerging,

in short the ecm controls and regulates the power output from the alternator, the alternator dosnt actually govern this anymore,

and because they run calcium batteries, the voltage output can be as high as 15.5 - 16volts, as the calcium batteries need big power to have them charge correctly,

many many features and very interesting, might see if i can scan it, itll make it easy to understand how it does it, but if an untrained person checks out the charge voltage at certain points, theyll thing the alternator is at fault,

ie, it'll let the output down to 12.6v at idle if certain conditions are met, it does this to save fuel.....

Hunter SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
that sounds interesting :thumbsup: Would be great if you could scan it and post it up :D

Hunter SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS

Supe

Supe
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais 6.0
Can't wait to see that doc, I've been wanting to more detail on these new batteries and charging methods.

whitey66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Sedan
the battery voltage had dropped a bit, the ecm disabled some feature to enable a fast charge to bring the charge up a bit faster,

i actually got a holden document today about the charging system in the ve's, very interesting and very different to how this normally work, but this is the new technology emerging,

in short the ecm controls and regulates the power output from the alternator, the alternator dosnt actually govern this anymore,

and because they run calcium batteries, the voltage output can be as high as 15.5 - 16volts, as the calcium batteries need big power to have them charge correctly,

many many features and very interesting, might see if i can scan it, itll make it easy to understand how it does it, but if an untrained person checks out the charge voltage at certain points, theyll thing the alternator is at fault,

ie, it'll let the output down to 12.6v at idle if certain conditions are met, it does this to save fuel.....

The charging system is controlled by the BCM and the ECM,and also includes an Ammeter on the earth lead.

BOY1236

Crazy dude in a V8
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (4-speed auto)

just got curious, what does it disables exactly ?

many thanx

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
just got curious, what does it disables exactly ?

many thanx

it will disable not neccissary as such items like the rear demister first, as it is a main current drawer, then it might disable a/c, then might disable the radio etc etc,

all things it can do to save power