Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Battery Terminal Gold Plated Connectors

Bob129

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec Series II
G'day,
My battery terminals are forever covered in some kind of sulphury substance, its blue/white. I reckon this is the cause of my low voltage thru-out my audio set-up, i clean the terminals every now and then, but i was wondering if these gold-plated terminals would be any help in increasing voltage, and decreasing the number of times i would have to clean off the sulphury stuff? Its just a standard VS with an Amp Power cable attached to the positive terminal...are they worth the $$? or do i just thoroughly clean with turps and vaseline the whole terminal??

Cheers,
Rob

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
get some petroleum jelly (vasolene) and put it on the terminals, hey presto no more gunk. (gold plated will not fix the problem.)

Sir-Psycho-Sexy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL executive
Thats just oxidisation, which doesn't conduct electricity very well.

You can just use grease too

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
By all means go the gold plated terminals, but still smear them with Vaso - a mate of mine bought those gold plated terminals, and in no time that greeny-blue corrosion had eaten all the plating off!! :D

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
gold plated = bad 80s pimp.

Here is what I generally do....and yes, it's what I actually do!

Half the issue is actually from the connector not being tight enough...and trust me, you'll never get it tight enough that you will stop the arcing. As minute as this arcing is it is the main cause of the sulphur build-up.

I went down to the local $2 dollar shop and got a pair of the CHEAPEST pair of terminals I could find. I then tightened them on VERY tight. Being so cheap they just wrapped themselves around the terminals very easily and I never have to worry about it again....on the other hand...take your current terminal off, clean the post with a wire brush and rub some sand paper inside the ring of the terminal and get everything back to a nice shiny metal. then smear it all in vasoline and call it quits.

Becareful with my advice...I'm also the person that got so sick of power loss I welded my power cable to the terminal! I then proceeded to heat up the battery post and terminal...and...well....you figure out the rest :)