Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

battery to boot whats involved

v8commie

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vk calais 5.0 efi
as heading says moving the battery to boot whats involved where do the wires run is it defectable is it smart? is there a write up on this?

sed8

commodore nut
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr ute @ vk calais
its pretty easy to do for legality reasons you'll need to put a sealed battery in the boot as well as a battery box because the cops are know going to the extent of saying that the use conventional battery expell gases which requires ventilation, something that the boot doesnt offer, this is the only thing can defect you for, it more of a safety issue there trying to tackle as well as taking your money for revenue,

but as for whats required you;ll need enough wire to run from you current battery location to the boot, i use zero guage but 2 or 4 gauge is fine, just increase the cca rating of you battery to reduce voltage drop.

you can do it a few ways i use a distribution block like those used in stereo installs can be bought from super cheap. this will allow you to remove the battery fitting from the positive and put all the wires into it and then run the new battery cable to the boot, the negative terminal can be bolted to the chassis, and do the same from the battery negative to the chassis in the boot,

i find this the simplist way the do it, hopefully this makes sense

neet_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 XR6T & 1990 VN dragcar project
But commodore boots are ventilated. Passenger side of the boot, where all the damn dust comes in!!

**Just follow what sed8 said, and you should be alright.
Sealed battery, battery box, long-arse power and earth leads, terminals, and so forth

Last edited:

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
Get a VE battery as they are sealed and have an outlet which u attach a tube to and run it outside ya car. Sprint do a cheap battery to suit VE's, which has the vent, and it's about half the price. Then just go to Holdens for the vent tube.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
I ran 3 earth cables from the negative post on the battery, down under the rear seat and bolted them there. The positive I'm using 2x 4gauge cables going from the positive post on the battery, to the big post on the starter motor. The alternator charge wire I also run to the same post on the starter, and run another wire into the cabin from the starter for all the electrics.

That's prolly the easiest and neatest way to do it. Was gonna use a distribution block up front, but yeah figured going to the starter will do the same thing, but better coz there's less joins.

Not sure if it will help, but here's a few pics of how I done mine in the wagz. Hasn't been vented tho. Just gonna use a VE battery and vent tube.

DSCF4040640x480.jpg

FINEPIX_2007_1005007Small.jpg

3 earths.
DSCF4041640x480.jpg

v8commie

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vk calais 5.0 efi
cool thanks guys will do but under the car where does the pos wire run

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
I ran mine on the inside, under the carpet through the middle. I wouldn't run it under the car...bit dangerous.

v8commie

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vk calais 5.0 efi
yeh but id rather run it somewhere on the passenger side (away from fuel) and underneath so if anything was to happen it wouldnt be inside