Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bcm issue

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Could this be as simple as replacing the key battery or could it be a dicky wire from the bcm to its fuse or the bcm to the ecu? Is there anything else it could be

If you pulled the fuse for bcm and by resetting the bcm in doing so made it worked then your problem is the bcm or wiring to the bcm like earth, should be on the right some where, you have to trace the wires and also make sure the plugs are pushed all the way in. If its doing the same thing as your original bcm I would swap it back over and find the issue that's causing the problem, auto elect be your best choice. .

yz300

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt wagon
03 vy need a tech tool not a scan obd2 tool which wont work, also did you get the right bcm there are different levels, you need to match the number on your original box.

Thanks again for trying to help. I.m pretty sure this was starting to happen before doing the mount but doing it might.ve made it worse. Sorry that.s not very helpful. Yes i got the correct bcm.

yz300

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt wagon
If the shield is broken enough it will cause shorting out.

Its not the alternator causing the problem, looks more like the abs, or wiring?

You have any hole saws? If so you can make a shield to replace the plastic one. I think the plastic one is called bakerlite?

Thanks again. I have 1 hole saw and some plastic dowel i used for something else. Will that do? The plastic dowel that is?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
If the hole saw is the right size, you can drill out a piece of wood the right thickness (something that is non conductive).
When that bakerlite eventually breaks, sparks are going to fly.

I broke the bakerlite spacer a few years ago on my alternator. Told you can't buy them anymore, unless you buy the whole alternator.
I was able to get one though.
This only if you can't buy one. Back up plan.
Making your own non conductive washer spacer will save you a lot electrical damage when it eventually breaks.
Preventative medicine.

yz300

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt wagon
When is the mechanic due to look at the car?

I.m going to call them back today and see what they say. It.s hard getting the car there in the morning with our baby needing the car to get her around. I have to sit there and wait for a few hrs while he gets to it.

yz300

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt wagon
One thing the mech did find was most of the box shaped relays in that compartment on the driver's side under the bonnet were showing signs of burning out. Might this indicate anything? Sorry for adding this so late. Gus.

yz300

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt wagon
If the hole saw is the right size, you can drill out a piece of wood the right thickness (something that is non conductive).
When that bakerlite eventually breaks, sparks are going to fly.

I broke the bakerlite spacer a few years ago on my alternator. Told you can't buy them anymore, unless you buy the whole alternator.
I was able to get one though.
This only if you can't buy one. Back up plan.
Making your own non conductive washer spacer will save you a lot electrical damage when it eventually breaks.
Preventative medicine.

Sorry to Keep hounding you, I'm not big on electricity. Is plastic non conductive?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
One thing the mech did find was most of the box shaped relays in that compartment on the driver's side under the bonnet were showing signs of burning out. Might this indicate anything? Sorry for adding this so late. Gus.
Yes possibly loose wiring, faulty relays, fuses. Even burnt wiring, which may need replacing.