Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

BCM/Key Receiver problem. Need Help! VT series I

phatvtcom

Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT
Hey all.

The other day i went to unlock my car with keyless entry and it seemed to not work. I didn't think anything of it because it's done this several times before as it is temperamental but then randomly works again.

Anyway now both keys don't work so it can't be a flat battery. My fans stay on so i had to disconnect them since they are annoying as hell and I've also got the start/stop problem where it will kick over for a few seconds then turn off, then i have to wait 10 seconds to start my car.

I've disconnected then reconnected the battery, checked wiring going to the BCM and in the steering column/ key barrel, checked fuses (none are blown).

I'm leaning towards BCM but I'm really hoping not since I've read it's a pain to replace...

Any suggestions?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Easy to replace, pain to get linked.
If the security light is flashing while you are trying to start it, then it does look like an immobilizer (BCM) problem.
How long did you disconnect the battery for?

phatvtcom

Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT
...And to add to the problem, i forgot to mention no more than 2 weeks ago there was a strange buzzing sound coming from somewhere around my steering wheel so now i suspect the BCM has had its time.
The battery was only off for a few mins.

Going a while back now, maybe several months i use to randomly get the same buzzing noise that i mentioned before but a lot louder. Nothing worked as in the central locking, boot release, keyless entry etc. To fix it i just disconnected the battery from it's positive terminal and she was all sweet. Now it seems to be a permanent problem.

The wreckers recon they have a low BCM like mine with the ECU and keyhead. Should i make a purchase?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
If you get the BCM, ECU and key head, just plug and play, it should all work without the hassle of getting the new BCM linked to the original ECU.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
what suburb are you in

phatvtcom

Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT
Another problem has come up pretty much the same time this happened and i forgot to mention it... I Had the fuel pump replaced literally a week ago caz it was fried and the fuel injectors cleaned... As soon as i had that done everything ran well on petrol as well as LPG. Now that i have this possible BCM problem, the car won't start or even switch to fuel, it just cuts out straight away.... I've had it!!!