Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

BCM Locked??

Darkk_Calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais Supercharged V6
I bought a new keypad off ebay for my 99 vt calais and took it down to a mechanic who has a tech 2 to re-program the new key it took ages to process then he said it didnt work and that the BCM could be locked...

has anyone else had a problem like this before or know how to fix it?

thanks

GMMAD

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8L GT35 4runner/VK calais
you can lock the PCM
but pretty shore the BCM cant be locked

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It won't be a locked BCM, you can't lock them. You don't need a tech 2 to program a new key, you just need to put it into the ignition, turn it on for ten seconds, then turn it off and it's programmed.

minitsbay

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive
umm as stated above it wont be a locked bcm id say the bloke didnt know how to work the tech 2 properlly and naaf advice is incorrect as well the key wont program itself by some miracle you have a couple of choices take it to holden get them to code it with the tech 2 or a mechanic who knows how to operate the tech 2 or take a working copy of your key with your new key you bought and have it coded at a locksmiths once the fob has been coded via a locksmith you will need to get in your car lcok all doors wait for security light on dash to start blinking then start car with new fob and key let car run for 60 seconds then your done

cheers

but you do need to have the new fob (the black part with button) coded it WILL NOT do it by itself

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
We just got one done, bought the new key, had it cut at a locksmith, stuck it in the car, turned it on for ten seconds, turned it off, all done. Didn't need to lock the car or anything. The only thing I didn't see was what the locksmith did to the new key out the back when he was cutting it. This is in a VT Senator Signature.

minitsbay

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive
exactly if you had a complete new key done including fob he would of programmed it with a rw4 or another programmer and would of told you that the key needs to be accepted now by the car if you only got the blade done and not the fob he would of just swapped out your key blades which are what the 2 screws are for in the back of the commodore keys

im not having a go at you so dont get me wrong mate i just know as i do this for a living

as for the steps in shutting door locking waiting and times yes it can vary but after much testing by our r&d dpt the steps i provided above are the easiest way for a customer to get the car to accept the new key once its been programmed

cheers

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
the BCM can lock up, it is caused by a voltage spike
try pulling the BCM fuse for 30 seconds or so & see if it works then