Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

"Beefing up" 4l60e Transmission

MG's VH Wag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore Exec
Hi guys, I am currently in the process of putting a motor together which will have a bit more power than standard and i realised i'll need my gearbox to handle it. The transmission i have is my 2nd one and it seems a bit tired. I don't want to have to buy and fit another one so i was wondering whats involved in beefing up these transmissions?

Cheers!

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
the problem when you start strengthening an auto is if you get a better/stronger part for one area - then something else down the line is just going to cop it and brake.

you either need to do everything for a proper rebuild, or just increase line pressure either with tuning on kalmaker or with a shiftkit - which will be a good short term fix, but wont stop parts from giving up and braking.

what are you doing anyway? the 4L60E can actually handle more than you'd expect, so unless its a huge increase in torque you might be right to just shiftkit it with a trans cooler (absolute must with a shiftkit).

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Like sircruisealotVS said, the 4L60E can handle quite a bit, and has been the factory V8 auto trans for quite a while. It'll handle whatever a V6 can throw at it no problem.

As with any auto, regular servicing will see it last the distance.

MG's VH Wag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore Exec
what are you doing anyway? the 4L60E can actually handle more than you'd expect, so unless its a huge increase in torque you might be right to just shiftkit it with a trans cooler (absolute must with a shiftkit).

I'm just rebuilding a low km motor and im gonna have a few mods on it like, cam, rockers, chip/tune, CAI, exhaust, injectors just the normal things to build a strong motor. I might just go with the shift kit and cooler because thats where it seems sluggish is between shifts. What stage shift kit would you recommend?

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
if you want it firm but to remain a little calm, go for a stage 1 (line pressure turned up in the tune)

If you want it to chirp as it kicks into second, and kick it shall go a stage 2 shift kit, whatever you do make sure you get a cooler.

As for actually beefing up a 4l60E if you wanted a bit of a monster you could go right through the valvebody and replace nearly every part with aftermarket items, replace the band and the shells with once again aftermarket ones and go for some extra heavy duty clutch packs, etc, etc.

when you have spent 2k on parts it will cost another 2k to have it all built, then that box is ready for some form of racing and or space launch.

Just my take on it

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
I'm just rebuilding a low km motor and im gonna have a few mods on it like, cam, rockers, chip/tune, CAI, exhaust, injectors just the normal things to build a strong motor. I might just go with the shift kit and cooler because thats where it seems sluggish is between shifts. What stage shift kit would you recommend?

stage 2 transgo shiftkit and the biggest trans cooler you can get your hands on man. keep in mind that cooler trans oil will lubricate/protect parts much more efficiently, so keeping it cool it always a good way to make the trans last longer and perform better.

ghog1726

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn Exec
i was wondering who could recommend a good place to find a shift kit, any advice would be great?

v8_bomberdore

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp 5L
get your self some high performance kevlar clutches , wide band, beast reaction shell and the 3 steel pistons cant remember what there actually called they are all the parts that will fail