Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Beefing up the rear suspension for towing ?

sax

Reaction score
Hi there fellow commodore lovers.
I've got a great old V6 VN sedan which needs new suspension.
The front and rear are both the original units and the car has 145000km. While it doesnt bother me having it soft and mushy, the problem is the rear has sagged and when I put a three bike trailer full plus tons of spares, fuel etc it gets really low. I have been quoted 360 for a set of fornt struts and the same for rear springs and gas monroes. Apparently you can get slightly raised springs which would solve my problems with the heavy weights. Is this worth looking at?

I'd love to replace the whole lot and lower the car but im not sure thats compatible with towing and possibly going down dirt roads to bike tracks etc.

I want the handling to improve, but mainly want to beef up the rear.
I'm running standard 6 inch interceptors.

What would you guys do?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
For a start load your trailer properly. You should have max 40kgs tow ball weight - around 15 - 20 is ideal.

A new set of springs and shocks all round is probably the go. Check the suspension bushes at the same time.

Reaper

sax

Reaction score
The tow ball weight sounds about right, but the boot and back seat are chock full of stuff which is what really brings the arse down.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
If you're really keen on lowering the car, and don't need to transverse any particularly tricky ground, you can get some Superlows in the front, and Heavy Duty Lows in the back. Grab some really good shock absorbers, too - something to help resist bump and rebound when the back of the car is heavily laden. Car should have a similar attitude to this:

Render_4.jpg

That worked fantastically for me when towing with a full load in the boot.

sax

Reaction score
That looks great. Exactly what I was after.
You're talking about King springs?

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Yeah, King Springs. :)