Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Been asked a million times, so i'm gonna ask it again..

GROWLZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV Clubsport
Ok people, the very old question, which is better, a Twin turbo set up or a vortech supercharger.. I'm currently working off a budget of around 7k so i was looking at either :

The Vortech s/c 6psi Kit

Retail Price: $6,895
Rated Horsepower of Kit: 375kW

Or the twin turbo setup

Gen-TT - Intercooled Turbocharger Kit
Retail Price: $ 6,995

Boost Pressure: 0.65 Bar (9psi) @ 2200rpm
Power: 450kw

Couple of question i do have, for the 7k straight up i think the Twin turbo set up would be better cost/power.. but if i want to upgrade in the near future would the s/c be the better way to go?

I know if i go with the s/c its gonna run the bank dry..

Or should i scrap the whole turbo/supercharger and spend the 7k on a set of heads and a cam...

Or should i just sell up and buy a ford....:D JUST JOKES.....

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
CAPA's setup is ok, but is no good for upgrades, the 7k price for a genTT kit is in US dollars isnt it? The standard cost of drive in and drive out GenT kit is around the 12k mark.

If i were you i'd go zorst/cam/head direction, then go from there.

GROWLZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV Clubsport
Nah i just double checked and I'm sure that the TT kit is in Aussie dollars..
Also would either of these conversions need a tune afterward?
And if i did decide to go with the head and cam package, is there any specific brand or are they roughly all the same?

digitok

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec
Yeh the TT kit is in AUD and I'm pretty sure the GenT kit is actually more expensive.

I think Higgins do some decent heads but there are many brands out there, Comp Cams are the best for cams.

Cheers,
Dan

enhancedss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE R8 LS3, VYSS Ute 10.0@146MPH & VYSSTT 525rwkw
ok, the gentt uses non roller bearing turbos, and are kkr branded....

power output is similar at top end power. all depends on tuner and of coarse dyno being used.

blowers do hold recordes, just checkout drag racing in the states.

and also some of the forum members might know of a green vy ss running a 10flat here in sa....with a vortec.

and many other quick times.....

knowledge_is_power

Quest for Cognition
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SII V6 A4
Where abouts is your location GROWLZ cause if your near brisbane the people you should talk to is Power Torque Engines. 9 out 10 gen III cars at the test and tune nights have been to Power Torque. They do great work, from heads and cams to forced induction.

Jezz

GROWLZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV Clubsport
Sadly I'm from Newcastle, and we don't have a huge selection of mechanics that do this kinda work on LS1 with the reputation of some of the other mechanics in other states..I might even consider putting it on a trailer and going out of state but first i would need to know what the initial cost would be, don't want to get there and they want more money.

knowledge_is_power

Quest for Cognition
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SII V6 A4
If you want to talk to someone at Power Torque call Shaun on 3881 3999 they are pretty help full and give you the right information. Or you could email them at [email protected]

Jezz

vxchev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX2 CALAIS V8
GROWLZ said:
Ok people, the very old question, which is better, a Twin turbo set up or a vortech supercharger.. I'm currently working off a budget of around 7k so i was looking at either :

The Vortech s/c 6psi Kit

Retail Price: $6,895
Rated Horsepower of Kit: 375kW

Or the twin turbo setup

Gen-TT - Intercooled Turbocharger Kit
Retail Price: $ 6,995

Boost Pressure: 0.65 Bar (9psi) @ 2200rpm
Power: 450kw

Couple of question i do have, for the 7k straight up i think the Twin turbo set up would be better cost/power.. but if i want to upgrade in the near future would the s/c be the better way to go?

I know if i go with the s/c its gonna run the bank dry..

Or should i scrap the whole turbo/supercharger and spend the 7k on a set of heads and a cam...

Or should i just sell up and buy a ford....:D JUST JOKES.....

Also have to added install, fuel pump upgrade, larger injectors, not sure if the battery needs to be moved on the turbo set up, valve springs and plenty of tyres. I think the turbo comes with a tune the shop has developed.

Personally, if I was going FI I would also do pistons, head work, larger valves and arp bolts all round. Might as well throw in a dual timing chain setup and chrome moly pushrods. Then there is the exhaust setup, diff gears, stally for an auto or upgraded clutch for M6, suspension set up, set of MT streets and big brakes to make you stop.

But all depends what you what to achieve from your car.

enhancedss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE R8 LS3, VYSS Ute 10.0@146MPH & VYSSTT 525rwkw
forced induction is going to cost u more of coarse than a cam shaft install.

here is to scenarios

fit large cam/ cylinder heads/ exhaust system/ OTR/ Mafless tune/ Injectors and fuel pump (depending on camshaft installed)/ throttle body etc....and fuel economy increased. and make approx 250-300rwkw, on a accurate dyno...

or

go forced induction eg blower/ turbo setup, intercooled and run on 12 psi with a stock internal engine, recieve good fuel economy better than stock when cruising, and power output approx 350-380rwkw depending on boost pressures.

this is what u have to really work out what u want from the car and budget you are willing to spend for power output.