Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Been Holden Out- Middle Aged Noob gets First Holden Ever- VS Ute- This Gonna be Fun!

CCCMikey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS '95. LPG. 513,000KM
My Speedo, Temperature and Fuel gauges all stick sometimes; and a whack fixes them all for the rest of the trip. I don't think it's bad soldering because the one whack keeps them going for the rest of the trip and usually for a few days for the small gauges and a few months for the speedo. I think it's just sticky old lubrication. Dry joints (bad soldering) is usually much more intermittent, like my 85 Bluebird with vacuum fluorescent gauges. It's like a disco in that car sometimes!

Jaymz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 1996, VS SS 1996
Oh Really? What about it makes you think that?
It seems it has been running rusty tap water for quite a while by the looks of things so I think I'll be flushing it out and doing the thermostat and maybe water pump soon.

Today I got a cheap LH tail light from the wreckers to replace the old very faded one and snaffled the other S2 side indicator to match the one that came on the quarter panel.

Also got some wiper blades and a set of Bosch Leads from Supercheap which has now used up my $200 gift card from Xmas. Haha! Free Fixes are Great.

Put all of the above on and it runs even better now with the Fresh leads and plugs.

When changing the leads, there was a Green wire coiled tightly around and taped up on the lead for cylinder number 2... Why is this?
I put it back on the new lead but have no idea what it's for.

It kinda looks like a lead that you attach when installing a hour meter on a dirt bike (monitors spark pulses and counts how long the engine runs) I have one on my 4 stroke pit bike.

Maybe the previous owner had one installed but removed the meter and left the wire in place?

TribUte

Holden On
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
I was thinking something similar re the spark pulses perhaps being related to the LPG setup? Dunno.

Tomorrow is the 1 week mark for my Ute ownership! So Straya, Much Bloke. :driving:

Today I put on the new Fuel Filter which was easy as to do and well overdue by the looks.

In the name of Rego, I'm really only wanting to do what I need to pass but also a bit of reliability peace of mind and safety thrown in, which leads me to a slight change of plan.
I was going to get and replace the water pump tomorrow but as it's working and I discovered this crack in the belt tensioner, I think it wise that I try to do something about this first. Repco tomorrow.

I'm wondering if this Belt is putting too much tension on and is too short? Looks like the lower right idler is stuffed so a shorter belt has been put on instead.

Ebay purchases are in the mail in the form of a reco Hazard switch and a bargains worth of RDA Brake package consisting of front and rear Rotors and Pads for under $200!!!

a recent wash and a quick spritz of silver can to mask the nasty rusty hubs makes Pete a Sexy Beast. lol

Last edited:

TribUte

Holden On
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
Thank You! :)

So between Autopro and Speeds, I got a New Pulley and Belt to match aswell as a secondhand Tensioner, New O rings and got into it.
The old plastic pulley had truly shat itself and yeah the shorter belt 6pk2370 got replaced with a 6pk2720.
Also I used silicon spray on the O rings as I do not own vaseline and figure KY was likely not up to the task. Hahaha!!!

Followed the guide on here and got it all back together as it should be, topped up and bled the cooling system and all is well.
This little diagram off the Googles helped...
$(KGrHqF,!hME6ZwtGRq!BOwgF24Q3Q~~60_1.JPG

Found my can of Airflow Meter cleaner and cleaned the AFM, topped up the steering fluid which got rid of some groaning sounds, removed 20kgs of Towbar and Poisoned 5 RedBacks!!! Twas a good day.

Last edited:

Willipede

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs v6 S pac Ute
Coming along very nicely should fix up to be a very nice ute

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Did you have the heater on when you filled and bled the system?

TribUte

Holden On
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
Coming along very nicely should fix up to be a very nice ute

Just saw your ute thread, they're like Brothers, I wish my paint was as tidy as yours though and that stock steering wheel... WTF?!!!
Looked like it was eaten by a Cockatoo.
I'm guessing these wheels have No Airbag so it's legal to go aftermarket? Mine doesn't says SRS anywhere.

Did you have the heater on when you filled and bled the system?

Yes Sir!!! with nose pointed up hill and an inverted bottle jammed in the radiator.
Is there any other way? ;)
I just wish the bleed screw didn't shoot the waters straight at my coilpacks.

TribUte

Holden On
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
This stash of parts arrived through the week.

Today it all happened, drivers front hub was ever so slightly wobbly so 2 new hubs went in, followed by RDA rotors and pads front and back.

Installed my new hazard switch and replaced the fuse. It works.

Fixed the horn by cleaning up the contacts behind the steering wheel. It works.

Put the passenger side guard liner back in as it was in the back of the ute when I got it.

Rego is getting closer... :D