Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Been Holden Out- Middle Aged Noob gets First Holden Ever- VS Ute- This Gonna be Fun!

dobesz

355ssute
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss ute
Any after market gauges or anything? Did you trace the wire back to anything?

TribUte

Holden On
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
Only aftermarket mod I can see is the LPG and no I didn't trace it yet, it was getting too dark.
There's that little empty bit of conduit in that pic which seems strange too. I'll try get a closer look tomorrow.

Strangely, on a little test drive after the lead change the speedo didn't work for about 500m but then suddenly was all good again.

Last edited:

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Oh Really? What about it makes you think that?
if you still have the old cap rub some of the the brown muck between your thumb and forefinger, if feels oily as it looks then oil is getting into the cooling system..seen it before :)

TribUte

Holden On
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
Oh OK thanks! Just did and it's all just dry and rusty now with no oily residue. ;)

JCL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Ute
Looks like its going to be a bit of fun. Good luck with it all

TribUte

Holden On
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
OK so, known issues are:

Horn doesn't work but will while rotating the wheel. Clockspring? Fixed
Hazard switch is pushed into the dash and won't work. Fixed
Fuel gauge and speedo don't always work until you thwack the top of the dash.
A/C is a non event.
Needs a really good clean around the engine and bay aswell as up underneath it's filthy.
Has a bit of a (woob woob woob) noise at speed which I'm guessing could be wheel bearing, warped rotor or tailshaft? Fixed
Exhaust leak, perhaps LH manifold or a little further back.
Wheel alignment?
Headlights need focusing. is this doable?

but I found the clamp on the bottom radiator hose needed tightening which seems to have mostly fixed the water loss issues (slightly weeping at waterpump too) so I took it for a good fang on some 80km/hr roads. No overheating, spillage or major loss!

Also seems I have Fixed the Running issues with the New plugs, Leads, secondhand AFM and Coils and finding the vac leaks.
May not have needed all of these but for the moment I'll keep the AFM and Coils in there.
It likes to boogie pretty hard! Floored it from a standing start at the lights (dry road) and it broke traction and shot like a Scalded Cat!
Awesome!!! *pats self on back for a job well done* :D

Last edited:

KhaosInc

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais V8 M5
The water pumps have a tiny hole to let it weep a little so you know it's about to crap itself. Would be worth changing it to be safe they are cheap as and give the block a good reverse flush so it's all clean.

It's worth buying a gregorys manual for the car they are worth their money if you want to do stuff yourself.

Speedo stuff is dry solder joints most probably.

Clock Spring might need to be set properly.

TribUte

Holden On
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
Thanks for the advice! The pump is on the to do list once I'm sure it's going to hold it's coolant. (this weekend perhaps)
I'll look into the others as it won't pass roadworthy as is.

The previous owner has a Gregory's he is going to give me once he finds it but yes I could use it.
In the meantime I found a pdf on the web. (should actually read some of it).
Still, quite pleased with the progress thus far.

KhaosInc

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais V8 M5
Seems like you are putting in a solid effort!

Easiest way to check the wheel bearings is to jack the car up and spin the wheel by hand, easiest to do front up then rear up and do both sides at the same time.

Hazard switch isn't too hard to get to but you need to be careful as the clips break easy and there is a few screws to take out near the dash cluster.

Headlights are adjusted by the screws ontop of the headlights, they are labeled as well.

I bought a gregorys then a max ellery (this put too many models in 1 book and it gets confusing) now I have all the Holden service books which are good and bad as it relies on you having a tech1 but the info in them is brilliant.

Oh and I like the pun name too!

dobesz

355ssute
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss ute
Also if your after little bits n pieces i find pic aparts are great for getting small things that most wreckers throw out and very cheap as well.