Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

beep from the cars computer

HsvMan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive V6
I got a vs exec
The other day I started the car with very low fuel, and the car made a few audible 'beeps' from the computer.

Then last night the car was idling in park. I was revving the engine a bit and i heard the beeps again.

Anyone know what this beep means?
Cheers

DJ Majah

Electro doof doof styleé
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII cruiser
Theres no trip computer. It beeps when there's low fuel, about when the needle hits the red. Did you have much fuel when you were sitting there revving it...why were you doing that anyway?

2_SeeK_U

Wheels on the bus go round and round...
Reaction score
Website
www.users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore II
low fuel... usually you can drive your car for a couple of k's after you hear this (especially in my VS, seems to be an early beeper!!) but l don't recomend on letting your cars tank get that low. I fill mine when it gets down to a quarter and let it go into the red every fourth time to empty out the sh*t from the tank.

HsvMan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive V6
hmm when it beeped the first time when the fuel was low, the fuel gauge was on about the first notch.

When it beeped last night the tank was about half full.
Why was i revving it? Was waiting outside of a mates house. Was trying to hurry him up.

Cheers guys

dellarb

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SII CV8 Monaro
Where is it?

Not having a go at anyone but alot of people say about not letting the tank get low. Does anyone know for sure how the vs tanks are fed into the fuel system? ie if its a float intake then i can understand not wanting to let it low but if its a high/low intake then it wouldnt matter how low u let it get. Matter of interest more then anything else.

Demons1964

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais, WHII Statesman V8, VC L 202
HsvMan, the beep was a warning that you were doing damage to your transmission. From memory once the tacho goes above a certain rev limit (2500 rpm?) the warning beep sounds. Shift it to neutral if you want to rev it. No auto is designed to do high revs in park, and is a sure way to cost yourself big bucks!!

HsvMan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive V6
ahh ok, thanks for that demons. That all makes sense now :p
Cheers

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
Demons1964 said:
No auto is designed to do high revs in park, and is a sure way to cost yourself big bucks!!

really? i've never heard that before

mixin

Ol' fart, young heart!
Reaction score
The beep occurs at 4000RPM in the V8s, and happens in both park and neutral. The very same beep will occur if you go over the rev limiter (by buzzing it) so my theory on this is that a quick rev (to 4K) is actually buzzing past redline as the tach is too slow to react, and the beep is the reaction to the redline being exceeded while the vehilce is stationary (won't do it in neutral when rolling but will do it when stopped).

tropical^fish

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Calais 5.0
the beeping is probably the trip computer telling you that is has died... do a diagnostic on it (mode, and reset on ignition) and then press and hold the + and - buttons, if it says FAIL then there is a problem!