Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bellmouth Removal Help

anton1o

[GMHVN6]
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 6 Berlina '90
So i tried today to remove my bellmouth, I got right to the final step.. Of removing the Inlet Manifold when it came to my surpise that i had the Thermostat Pipe right behind it.. And couldnt move the inlet manifold far enough without hitting the Pipe.

So with no avail or removing the Thermostat pipe it was stuck on with some Super-Glue or something, Ive been thinking how are people doing it!

Is there any other way, cause For a Series2 engine im not even meant to have the thermostat behind it.. Seems like ive got a Series 1.5

Any help would be good Thanks

s_pack

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VY SS
By inlet manifold, are you referring to the elbow between the throttle body and the inlet manifold? The inlet manifold itself (big thing with 3800 on it) doesn't need to be removed to get the bellmouth. And if it's a series 1.5, it will more than likely not have a bellmouth. You can tell straight away looking at your engine if its there or not, if its there, you will see a black piece of plastic imbetween the elbow and the inlet manifold.

anton1o

[GMHVN6]
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 6 Berlina '90
Yes i have a Bellmouth cause i was able to remove the 'Elbow Thing' sorry thought that was called the Inlet Manifold too.. And could see it sitting in there

But yeah i cant for the life of me think of any other way to remove it.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
you gotta try your hardest to remove the thermostat housing. some of them are stuck good and tight, i had to bash mine with a hammer back and forth quite a few times to get it off. mind you i had the whole manfold sitting on a bench when i did it, much easier to get to.

anton1o

[GMHVN6]
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 6 Berlina '90
Ah ok, will i need to replace anything once the thermostat cover is removed?
any gasket' or sealant needed when replacing it.

fazz1977

myspace.com/fazz_himself
Reaction score
Website
www.buttonhole.com.au
Members Ride
1992 VP Executive Wagon, L27 V6 3800
You'll need a new thermostat housing gasket. Costs about $1. A little selastic to hold it in place while you bolt everything back together won't hurt either.

s_pack

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VY SS
The bellmouth can be taken out without having to take the inlet manifold off.. The throttle body and elbow are the only things that need to be removed.

anton1o

[GMHVN6]
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 6 Berlina '90
Yeah, ive just got a stupid thermostat sitting behind the Elbow.. Which shouldnt be there in Series 2.

s_pack

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VY SS
Ah I see, so the thermostat is blocking the removal of the elbow then?

anton1o

[GMHVN6]
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 6 Berlina '90
Yep, So im just tyring to figure out what im going to need for Removal/Replace of it..