Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

belt tensioner reassembly vy commadore

welby

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy 2004executive
anyone got a diagram of reassembly procedure for vy commybelt tensioner please or ideas never done it,,//????

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
Go get a Max Ellery and follow their steps but really all you need is to take a look, remove the hoses, unbolt the alternator and no need to disconnect the wiring, remover the inlet pipe, remove the tensioner, replace the tensioner Orings with quality Holden Oring they seem to be thicker than the aftermarket ones and then put back together the way it came apart. I had to do mine twice because the Oring that came with the Gates tensioner was way to thin and would'nt seal and when I took it apart for the second time I found the seal had fallen into the cavity below the therostate which had to be removed to access the Oring. The tensioner doesnt come with a Oring for the inlet pipe probably because its a seperate part so I replaced that seal with a nice thick one from my Oring kit and that was 14 months ago and no leaks. The Max Ellergy has the torque settings but theres nothing their that needs special torquing. Don't rush the job and pay special attention on getting the inlet pipe and tensioner to seal correctly.

Attachments

• Belt Tensioner.JPG
    Belt Tensioner.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 212
  • Belt Tensioner 27.12.16 - 014.jpg
    Belt Tensioner 27.12.16 - 014.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 218
  • Belt Tensioner 27.12.16 - 019.jpg
    Belt Tensioner 27.12.16 - 019.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 202
  • Belt Tensioner 27.12.16 - 020.jpg
    Belt Tensioner 27.12.16 - 020.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 212
  • Belt Tensioner 27.12.16 - 023.jpg
    Belt Tensioner 27.12.16 - 023.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 215
  • Belt Tensioner 27.12.16 - 027.jpg
    Belt Tensioner 27.12.16 - 027.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 206
  • Belt Tensioner 27.12.16 - 034.jpg
    Belt Tensioner 27.12.16 - 034.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 218
  • Belt Tensioner 27.12.16 - 036.jpg
    Belt Tensioner 27.12.16 - 036.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 207
  • Belt Tensioner 27.12.16 - 039.jpg
    Belt Tensioner 27.12.16 - 039.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 200
  • Belt Tensioner 27.12.16 - 042.jpg
    Belt Tensioner 27.12.16 - 042.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 225

Dazza VU ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU series 2 ute
Cheers Neddy,
Just had a real good look at your reply. I like the step by step diagrams. Gonna give it a go on xmas break. Doesn't look that hard if I take my time. Appreciate your time in replying. I do have a Max Ellery aswell. Perfect. Just wouldn't mind having exact/correct O-rings on hand when I do the job for the inlet & outlet pipes. Any ideas on o-ring ID, OD & section sizes would be appreciated or GM part numbers would be better. Thanks again mate appreciated.

Dazza VU ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU series 2 ute
Neddy,

P.S - I have bought original GM tensioner arm c/w pulley although, nil O-rings.

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
Just wouldn't mind having exact/correct O-rings on hand when I do the job for the inlet & outlet pipes. Any ideas on o-ring ID, OD & section sizes would be appreciated or GM part numbers would be better.

I took a ride down to Holden and was able to purchase the original O rings, bought 2 of each just encase I fark up.
No idea of the size or thickness, best to order the O ring way before the fitting hey.

Last edited:

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
they are not a standard o-ring from memory
buy genuine only a few $

Timmy B

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY séries II V6 wagon
Go get a Max Ellery and follow their steps but really all you need is to take a look, remove the hoses, unbolt the alternator and no need to disconnect the wiring, remover the inlet pipe, remove the tensioner, replace the tensioner Orings with quality Holden Oring they seem to be thicker than the aftermarket ones and then put back together the way it came apart. I had to do mine twice because the Oring that came with the Gates tensioner was way to thin and would'nt seal and when I took it apart for the second time I found the seal had fallen into the cavity below the therostate which had to be removed to access the Oring. The tensioner doesnt come with a Oring for the inlet pipe probably because its a seperate part so I replaced that seal with a nice thick one from my Oring kit and that was 14 months ago and no leaks. The Max Ellergy has the torque settings but theres nothing their that needs special torquing. Don't rush the job and pay special attention on getting the inlet pipe and tensioner to seal correctly.
Thanks - pulley tensioner diagram very helpful in putting this all back together. Made the mistake of trying to use cheap crap o-rings first time around - leaked like a sieve. Got (overpriced!) genuine Holden o-rings - all sorted.

Reactions: Lex