Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Belt tensioner

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Question is the serpentine belt tensioner pulley meant to move 4-6mm every now and then as the engine runs? Or should it be 100% stationary and not move at all? Trying to work out if the spring jumping this tiny amount is normal or if I need to fork out for a new tensioner?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Question is the serpentine belt tensioner pulley meant to move 4-6mm every now and then as the engine runs? Or should it be 100% stationary and not move at all? Trying to work out if the spring jumping this tiny amount is normal or if I need to fork out for a new tensioner?
Have you checked all the pulleys? Sounds like one is starting to seize?

Anymore stalling?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Have you checked all the pulleys? Sounds like one is starting to seize?

Anymore stalling?
Pulley is fairly new. The tensioner was a SH one from the donor. Old Tensioner was too tight and was killing water pumps. Only stalled the once. I have a SH DFI in the seat pocket and will carry a few tools to change it, just in case. PS pulley is fine, bearing in AC is fairly new, alternator was fine when I checked it last.

Reactions: Lex

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Yes movement is totally normal. The movement comes from the the acceleration of the crank through it's cycles. This is why diesels have dual mass flywheels.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
But the movement will increase as the spring gets softer so it won't hurt replacing it.
Some toyotas use a hydrualic tensioner they stay stationary but they aren't common.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If I don't need to replace it I'd kinda rather not. I have spent a ton of money and I am not overly wanting to throw more parts at it just because I can. Best price I can get one for is $88, that's a litre of 2k, that I really do need.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
If I don't need to replace it I'd kinda rather not. I have spent a ton of money and I am not overly wanting to throw more parts at it just because I can. Best price I can get one for is $88, that's a litre of 2k, that I really do need.

Does anything slip like AC or PS? if not leave it as those two are usually the heaviest drawers of power.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Does anything slip like AC or PS? if not leave it as those two are usually the heaviest drawers of power.
No slip, but I get a funny noise at WOT if holding it there for a bit, say if overtaking a long truck or car and caravan combo. Short bursts at WOT the noise doesn't appear. I think its the valve springs or lifters but then it would be annoying it has something to do with the tensioner and I have to spend 3hrs changing it, after already having it mostly off anyway. But like I said I have dumped a bucket load of money into the ute this year, and where do I stop? If its the best thing to do I will just order one. Heck I'm about to fit $1300 worth of heads as well and another $450 on gaskets and lifters. I should should just probably get one. lol

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Yep if you're doing heads it won't hurt.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Also do the balancer if it's old as the rubber gets old and it stops dampening as it used to.