Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bendix Advance Brake pads ?????

nmldb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II Berlina Wagon
2 weeks ago got a 4 wheel reline using Bendix Advance pads. Have a VTII Berlina wagon 3.8.

Now, the mags, tyres and some of the body work behind the wheels is covered in black - from the brake pads. Yuck. Car is white too !

Old pads were genuine GMH ones - no probs what so ever with that black stuff.

Is this normal - will it settle down ? Apart from that, the pads seem to be fine.

Thanks.

ScottB_33

Go Hard or Go Home
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Berlina Supercharged
The black residue is perfectly normal and will not harm your vehicle in anyway. Are you sure the pads were Advance and not the Ultimate range which will definatly leave black brake dust after application? I have used Advance pads many times and usually the brake dust is minimal. You can change pads if you wish to the genuine items but black dust is only the material from the pad itself and is harmless but means you have to wash the wheels more frequently!!

J_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 and VS V8 Statesman
And it means you dont have to replace your rotors as frequently. You either have more dust and less rotor wear or less dust and more rotor wear, its your call. Although it would make life easier if they had some standard scale which told you the relative hardness of different brand pads. I like to look at the pads first and if its got heaps of metal on it I give them a miss.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I was getting a lot of brake dust until I switched to Bendix Advance.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Bendix are currently playing with the materials they use in their pads. They have been for a while since they can no longer use Asbestos in the pads.

Its probably due to another change in the materials used in the pads. But good pads generally mean less brake dust.

Brumbies 5L

Dont Gossip, Just Torque!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5L
:bang: Stay away from them as they chew the living shite outta your rotors!!!!:bang:
:bang: Fitted them to my VT and ended up with "ridges" all over them.... Stopped well but as I said they eat rotors....:bang:

Plus it was hard to tell which was alloy and which was rubber they made that much mess!:whistling

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Bendix Ultimates are a hard material that produce lots of dust and chew your rotors.

bendix advance or now called general CT are good everyday brakes...they shouldnt be releasing that much brake dust....
i ran them on my VT and no problems with rotors or excessive dust....
my parents run them on the vp and no problems for the last 14years with them...rotors still genuine ones

danielsan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 SS 5.7/A4
i couldnt stand the advance when i had them, no pedal feel whatso ever, felt like i was driving on ice.
i just had the ultimates in mine replaced and they (the new ones) feel far too soft, (like the advance) i'm hoping they just need to be bedded in some more.

On the other hand the factory holden pads are pretty decent, very little if any dust and decent braking performance.

Brumbies 5L

Dont Gossip, Just Torque!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5L
Bendix Ultimates are a hard material that produce lots of dust and chew your rotors.

bendix advance or now called general CT are good everyday brakes...they shouldnt be releasing that much brake dust....
i ran them on my VT and no problems with rotors or excessive dust....
my parents run them on the vp and no problems for the last 14years with them...rotors still genuine ones

Maybe I got a bad batch or something but I still have the rotors and pads to say that I wont be putting them back on my car....

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
i couldnt stand the advance when i had them, no pedal feel whatso ever, felt like i was driving on ice.
i just had the ultimates in mine replaced and they (the new ones) feel far too soft, (like the advance) i'm hoping they just need to be bedded in some more.

On the other hand the factory holden pads are pretty decent, very little if any dust and decent braking performance.
the fact that ultimates feel soft it might mean that your brake fluid might need bleeding coz it might have some air in the system or you might need the flush the brake fluid - which should be done every 2.5 years by what the manual says.